My 288xp/660 piston swap build...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the latest compression reading on the saw...

DSCN2788.jpg

Should I swap out the base gasket for a thicker one? I just run preimum pump gas with Stihl ultra. I really have no time on the saw yet, too damn hot and humid around here right now, it will not see much action till fall.

I bet that thing has some good torque. It might be worthwhile to put a base gasket in to help the starter and your arms.

DSCN2788.jpg

Should I swap out the base gasket for a thicker one? I just run preimum pump gas with Stihl ultra. I really have no time on the saw yet, too damn hot and humid around here right now, it will not see much action till fall.

WOW I think you should be ok but check the top of the piston from time to time for preignition.

DSCN2788.jpg

I would wait till it hits 250. Just to be safe.:cheers:

I would run the highest octane you can find. Which is probably 94. You should be ok. How many pulls is that. Also did you pull the cord till it wouldn't go any further?

I'm not sure if your 288 is the same but my stihl 041 pulls 203psi. It cranks first pull with choke off every time. If you put the choke on it will flood the saw first pull.:greenchainsaw: I also figured it would be hard to pull with that high of compression. Well its no worse then my 5100s that has 200psi stock.

Cause my 041 cold/hot it don't matter starts with no choke 1st or second pull. It has 203psi compression. I figured since its got more compression its pumping more fuel. I didn't know if this was a trait for modded higher compression saws. If I pull the choke it floods the motor.

That sounds odd to me, sounds more like a carb issue/jetted too rich. I'm not too familiar with an 041....

Cause my 041 cold/hot it don't matter starts with no choke 1st or second pull. It has 203psi compression. I figured since its got more compression its pumping more fuel. I didn't know if this was a trait for modded higher compression saws. If I pull the choke it floods the motor.

compression ratio has nothing to do with pumping more fuel.

Now that I think about it all the compression goes out the exhaust. So your right. :greenchainsaw:

I guess shooting for over 200psi is the cool thing to do at the moment.....:confused:

Wasn't really "shooting for over 200psi", that's just where it ended up at. I'm not too sure I want it that high either, but thanks for your positive input.:dizzy:

Got my new 33" Oregon RW bar for the old girl....I'm happy now!:)

DSCN2811.jpg

DSCN2810.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2813.jpg

I think in the future I'm gonna put a degree wheel on it and see what I can do there....

Last edited:
Wasn't really "shooting for over 200psi", that's just where it ended up at. I'm not too sure I want it that high either, but thanks for your positive input.:dizzy:

as far as positive imput, i added that pages ago but it fell on deaf ears.....its not a dig at you but it seems alot of guys are building pop ups and or shooting for high compression and not alot more...the motor as a whole has to work in balance....intake/transfers/compression/exhaust etc etc .....but some are just going for what seems cool....if the search function is used there is 1000's of posts with good saw mod info here....

but atleast your having fun wth saws :rock:

TRI955 your 288 looks amazing:rock:. I am waiting on my 288 to come in the mail that I got off ebay. Gonna do a complete rebuild and add a HD filter and high top. It's my first big wood saw.
Im the case of my 041 rebuild I wasn't really shooting for over 200psi either. What I was shooting for was to be on the lower side of .021" of the squish band. Stock squish was .033 and its now at .019. As for your high compression, just run the highest octane gas you can and you should be fine. Which is 94 here, or 110 sunoco race gas around here. The 110 is $8.98 a gallon.:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back