Got a Free Cat 977H. Now What?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spend a fair amount of time in FB Marketplace and have been looking for a vintage Cat dozer for a while, when this popped up - a 977H, listed as inoperable. It was on a 130 acre farm/ranch near Killeen, TX that some investors had bought. Farm/ranch went belly up and they sent in someone to liquidate everything, including the 977H. The liquidator didn't know anything about the 977H other than the fact that there was something wrong with it.

When I called him on Saturday to discuss, I asked how soon would he need it gone. He said it had to be gone by Wednesday morning. I think he heard my jaw drop over the phone. Then he said, "Look, you're the only one who's been serious about it, so if you can get it out of here by Wednesday morning, it's yours." Challenge accepted!

Headed there Sunday with a buddy of mine. Had it running and operating in about 2 hours; it just needed a jump start and track tensioner maintenance/repair. Left steering clutch is very weak; I suspect that's why it was laid up.

Anyway, got a lowboy out there on Tuesday and had it brought to my buddy's ranch near Fredericksburg, Texas.

Now I guess I need to give it a good once over and see if I can get some work done with it. This is my first piece of heavy equipment, but I've been working on vintage cars for decades.

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 2
I spend a fair amount of time in FB Marketplace and have been looking for a vintage Cat dozer for a while, when this popped up - a 977H, listed as inoperable. It was on a 130 acre farm/ranch near Killeen, TX that some investors had bought. Farm/ranch went belly up and they sent in someone to liquidate everything, including the 977H. The liquidator didn't know anything about the 977H other than the fact that there was something wrong with it.

When I called him on Saturday to discuss, I asked how soon would he need it gone. He said it had to be gone by Wednesday morning. I think he heard my jaw drop over the phone. Then he said, "Look, you're the only one who's been serious about it, so if you can get it out of here by Wednesday morning, it's yours." Challenge accepted!

Headed there Sunday with a buddy of mine. Had it running and operating in about 2 hours; it just needed a jump start and track tensioner maintenance/repair. Left steering clutch is very weak; I suspect that's why it was laid up.

Anyway, got a lowboy out there on Tuesday and had it brought to my buddy's ranch near Fredericksburg, Texas.

Now I guess I need to give it a good once over and see if I can get some work done with it. This is my first piece of heavy equipment, but I've been working on vintage cars for decades.

Scott
Hey Scott, I'll gladly double your money if and when you ever want to get rid of it. lmao :cool: OT

Stationed at QMCB? In Va that is.

The Mark Center, off 395 in Alexandria.

I lived in Locust Grove, VA, just down the road from F'Burg, during COVID, on weekends, and when teleworking. When I was in the office, I stayed in a garage apt. in Annandale.

Retired last summer after 26 years in the Army and moved back to Texas.

We love San Antonio, but the summers are brutal.
That’s actually my brothers top spot but neither of us could live anywhere near the city. He will retire in about 2 years, if he goes near S.A. I may transfer to Houston and look for something west northwest of Houston an hour or more outside of there. Not enough work in S.A. for me.

Isn’t that where Franklins bbq is?

That’s actually my brothers top spot but neither of us could live anywhere near the city. He will retire in about 2 years, if he goes near S.A. I may transfer to Houston and look for something west northwest of Houston an hour or more outside of there. Not enough work in S.A. for me.

Isn’t that where Franklins bbq is?

My parents and my sister live in Houston; about 3 hours away.

Not familiar with Franklins bbq.

Houston, we have a problem.

The bearing/hub assembly on the right final drive is damaged and will need to be replaced. I saw it before we started working on it, but I was hoping it wasn't a major ordeal to repair/replace. Now that I've done a bit of research, it looks to be a fairly involved and expensive project.

More to follow, but I think I know why it was free!!!

IMG_1347.jpgIMG_1348.jpg

Agreed. Thanks
You can fix it, a good friend who has since passed used to say the big machines are not as hard to fix as the smaller ones. He was the cat mechanic for the mill here where we live. His job was field repair of all the heavy equipment used for 2 crews, a very talented welder and improviser to keep the crews working! RIP Lowell, we had some great adventures that I will never forget! We took a 1945 troop transport Greyhound bus to Cabo San Lucas from just north of Sacramento, CA. back in 1982. Did some marlin fishing and drinking and made it safely home with no major mechanical breakdowns! It was the best time I think I've ever had as a young lad! I'll try and find a picture of the bus affectionately known as " The Yellow Submarine "

Latest posts

Back