Makita 7301 Dual-Port Muffler!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I added a second exhaust port on my Makita 7301 to compliment the stock one that is already opened up. I made a deflector out of stainless steel to go along with the aluminized muffler.

As much as I would have liked to do the weld in stainless, I don't have that available........yet! So I had use a standard mig weld. As anal as I am about my saws rust won't ever be a problem.

Stainless polishes up real nice too!

Last edited:
Nice work Rich!

I hate to say it but those Dolmars look alot better in blue and silver.

Russ

hate to say it Jokers i thought so to until i saw them with my own eyes , i like the makita but like the dolmar red better

looks good, Did you see much gain by the 2nd port?
Thanks
Hunter

I vote for the photographed appearance of the Makita color scheme too.  I've never seen on in person, though, and the only red one I've seen was a basket case.  I have to say that I'd rather be seen with the red one out in the woods, though.

Glen

Hey Rich, it looks nice, and it looks like it'll fit okay in the Stihl case.  Do I see correctly that you welded the screen in place on the left side?  Is there no way to reliably screw the cover on, maybe with fine-thread sheet-metal screws, or maybe welded nuts and machine screws?

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Hey Rich, it looks nice, and it looks like it'll fit okay in the Stihl case.  Do I see correctly that you welded the screen in place on the left side?  Is there no way to reliably screw the cover on, maybe with fine-thread sheet-metal screws, or maybe welded nuts and machine screws?

Glen

I had to cut away on the inner liner of the saw case to get it to fit.

I would rather weld the deflector on. I drilled holes in the deflector and plug welded it on. I had to make a couple tack welds because the shape of the deflector doesn't allow for much manipulation. Welding won't work lose either. Since I use Maxim K2, carbon buildup is lessened also, so cleaning the screen is less too.

Rich, where did you get the screen? Is it SS? I've looked at my local hardware stores and they don't have good screen, that small. Just wondering where to get it. Thanks, John

Go to MSCdirect.com on the web and go to page 1850 for stainless screen. I bought the 24 x 24 mesh .012 thick wire in 316 SS. That was very close to what came in my Stihl saws.

I put some decent time on the 7301 today. Ran 3 tanks of fuel through it. I cut a little of everything: Silver Maple, BlackCherry and hard as nails dead Black Locust. This saw runs real nice, has real good anti-vibe and plenty of speed and torque. The guys I worked with were similiarly impressed. The dual port muffler is definitely worth the time. :)

Is anyone out there willing to try making an all stainless muffler for my jonsered 670? I think it would really make it look better than the old beaten thing on it now.

Back