Double barrel shotgun muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sweat Eric, a person can`t take this stuff to heart, you know. BTW, you know that the 385 has never been my favorite bucking saw, but it`s not bad either. Just wish that it weighed about 2# less, LOL.

Russ

The paint was barely dry when the pictures were taken. I started it in the garage and blipped it twice. Gotta set the high side before I use it. It's got a NICE bark to it. Got a downed maple on my bosses property, will try and buck some up as soon as my schedule allows and report on the performance.

Is that pipe a section of a double barrel shotgun barrel welded into the muffler? from my point of view thats what it looks like. if it aint I dont know what you did, but still very cool.

Hey Paul, you ought to drill and tap that bad boy for a bead sight!  Thus you can have two types of "redneck" covered.

Glen

I got a 36" piece of tubing from Lowes cut it in half and welded it together. I did all the welding. These welds are fairly ugly but keep in mind they were done with a 220v mig welder, tig would have been awesome but it's out of my price range. Welding materials of different thickness to each other is tough and these mufflers are foil compared to the tubing. I still have about a foot of the double tubing if anyone wants a few inches, (of tubing) pm me.

Glens, I thought about a bead sight as soon as I welded the tubes together.

I'll send ya my saw muffler for shotgunification hee hee. That is some very nice work though, looks bada$$ and well built. It actaully does look like a double barrel shotgun built into the muffler in a way, thats just cool. I would LOVE to hear what the gains are from that one and how it sounds if you can get a clip on the site for us.

I WISH I had the ability to attach video or sound clips, I just learned how to re-size pictures for crying out loud!

It might look like a real barrel except for the welded seam at about 4:30 in the lower tube.

Paul, you maybe better put some red plugs in the ends so the federales know they ain't real.  hahaha

Even though it's a good "photo" it's a little hard to see what might be best for screening the outlets.&nbsp; It looks like there's plenty of meat for a couple of small screws to hold a plate to the front which will sandwich the screen to the tube ends.&nbsp; See the top sketch in the attachment.&nbsp; If it's too flimsy, maybe you can stick some pins in the top of the top and bottom of the bottom and put some ears like in the lower sketch (the tabs would be folded back 90&deg;<tt></tt>) so the plate could be "twisted" on first.

Glen

Quite a bit actually, this was the biggest reason for taking the muffler apart. I could have installed the pipes from the outside without opening the muffler. Attacking the deflector was much easier from inside.

Actually, O.C.C. is about a 15 minute drive from my house, never set foot in the place though. I tuned the high side tonite. The 7900 has a rev limiting ignition so a tach is a good thing to have on hand.The saw can be very lean and still only rev to 13 grand! I set it to 12,900 and will leave it there until it hits the wood again. I have another piece of tubing and might "single shot" my 026 next

Latest posts

Back