New-To-Me MS 441 w/ full wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic5050

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased a used MS 441 in like new condition. It was ordered to replace an 044 Mag, but the owner decided to keep his old saw instead.

Before purchase I did ALOT of reading and research on here. The saw itself was about six months old, had about three gallons of mix ran through it, and when pulling the plug to check out the cylinder, it looked better then my kitchen counter tops inside.

It was an added bonus that it was actually a FW model with the upgraded dogs and HO oiler.

Now, here's my question. When I got it home and ran it some, I can't get the chain to "fling" oil (Stihl B&C oil) like the manual says.

It does have the adjustable HO oiler, and it's currently set on the "E" for the bar and chain that is on there. The chain does seem like there is a little oil film on it, and when I take the bar off, it looks well oiled on the oil output. I do know the chain is in need of being replaced, it has seen a few better days.

Would a worn chain not fling as much as a new chain, are they just that efficient on oil, or is there a problem with my oiler that I need to have fixed?

BTW, for what it's worth, the seller worked with me and I was able to get the saw for a pretty good price. In said condition, what might a saw like this be worth?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Stihl oilers are very miserly. The "E" is the oiler turned all the way down. Turn the oiler all the way up, hold the bar tip a few inches above a clean surface, hold the saw at WOT and within a few seconds you should see a thin line of oit appear. if you don't see the small thin line, pull the clutch cover and b/c off. Rev the saw to 1/2 throttle or so and watch the oil hole, it should trickle oil out. If it does, you may need to clean out the oil hole on your bar. If it doesn't trickle oil, time to go farther into the oil pump....

Like slim said, just crank it all the way open and then you can back it back down to where you want it. I saw your original post about what you gave for the saw...I wont repeat it since you didnt put it in your new post but I can tell you that you stole that saw.

By the way, dont worry about dragging up the old threads like you did originally. Some people will gripe about you doing that, but others will gripe about you not using the search and starting a new one. The gripers can just skip it and go on to something else the way I see it. Welcome to AS...these are the best bunch of folks on the internet

Thanks for the info, I'll pull the bar and check the oiler function.

I did see the oiler flow adjustment, played with it with the saw off, but returned it to the original position before putting the bar back on (took it off to clean oil ports and take a closer look at things).

As far as the buying experience went, I was very pleased. The seller not only was willing to take the spark plug out and let me inspect it, he knew what I was looking for and encouraged it. He said he knows how it feels to be burned on Craigslist, so has more then willing to help me out. I figure that if the six month-three gallon usage claim was accurate, he wouldn't have a problem with an inspection. He even detailed what other things to look for if(when) I buy another one (bottom roller being trashed from throwing chains, worn mud flap from excessive use / age, etc.).

He spent about an hour going in to great detail about how to service the bar/chain, set me up with a new file and handle/guide, and threw in an extra bar wrench and spark plug.

I did get to see his old 044 that has been ported, bored, and muffler modded. I can see why he decided to keep it after all.

Well, the big factor was the price. I too felt kind of like I stole the saw, be the seller was excited to see somebody that was so enthusiastic to buy and own such a wonderful machine.

So, price.....

$450

BTW, I wasn't sure if reviving an old thread was in good taste, so edited the original.

Thanks for all the great help and info. Keep the oiler info coming.

Mike

Last edited:
Well, i got home tonight and did as instructed.

Pulled the bar off and fired it up. Sure enough, it's definately bubbling oil out of the port when I get to about half open. So, that anwers that question.

One more question I have, though.

It seems the saw actually has one of these on it.

http://www.windsorforestry.com/products/guide_bars/bars_speedtip.shtm

Good bar or not?

I planned on taking it in to the shop to get a new chain and maybe a spare, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't invest in a new bar as well, or is this a decent bar for a saw.

Thanks again, I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two.

Last edited:
The bar should be fine for a while. Unless you're wanting another size I would just get a couple chains and run the bar until its wore out.

Windsor Speedtips are supposed to be good bars, I wouldn't hurry to get rid of it if it's in nice condition.

Where are the pictures? Yeah, the Windsors are fine. Maybe clean the groove out, you'd be surprised at the crap in most bar grooves. True it up with a bar file tool before the new chain if its cutting straight and go, go, go!

Update w/ Pics.

O.K., it's been some time since I posted and I also have the much wanted pics.

So the back story here is that we went camping with some friends. The other guy I was camping with also has a saw, a Husky 51 to be exact. Well, I got alot of flak for paying what I did for a saw that's "overkill" when I cound have saved some money and went with a smaller saw. Even though this same person also paid $300 for his Husky out of a pawn shop.

Well, after running both in some 20" logs I had brought, I am very pleased to say I am VERY happy with my purchase. I belive it's even better then everything I had read on here, but I may just be bias.

I loved how it powerd through logs with no effort at all. I pulled the throttle, got a big smile every time the thing torqued up to WOT, and lets not forget that sound. As soon as the chain touched the wood (seasoned Fir), all I did was guide. I did as recommended and didn't apply any more pressure then I had to, and let the saw do all the work.

The new anti-vibe stuff makes this screamer really purr in your hands. When I tried out the 51 I noticed it felt like it actually vibed more then my saw, and I also was not impressed as to how much I could bog it down with out much effort at all.

The only question I have now is that the saw actually came with a 20" bar instead of a 24" (not a big deal at this time). However, when I go to upgrade, I know that a good size would be a 24" (based on the 1/3 CC = Bar Size), but the Stihl dealer had a 25" for the saw. So, would that exra bit of size matter that much, and should I stick with Stihl, or go with a different brand/bar? Also, while I'm thinking about it, the chain on there now is an RSC 33. Nice chain, but again, with different bar, should I look at different chain down the road?

Now for the pics. They kind of suck with my camera, even after I tried to sharpen them up a bit. Didn't think to get one of me cutting. Got some of the saw so you could see my $450 investment. The last few pics are of a round we cut for a throwing ax target. After we were done and it had used up it's usefullness, I thought a pic of the saw being "on target" would be a nice touch. Enjoy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
There is no difference between a 24" bar and a 25" bar. Yes I know how that sounds but the drive link count is the same. It is just what the manufacturer wants to call it. Most popular bars are those that come out in 5cm lengths ie 50cm, 55cm so they may not be equal to an popular "American" length.

Your saw does not have to fling oil off the bar to have the chain lubricated adequately. Newer oils are much better are sticking to the chain. When you are done with a long day of cutting or maybe even at mid day take the bar off the saw, clean the groove, and flip the bar over so it will wear evenly. Knock the dust off the air filter at the same tiime.

I run a 22" bar on my 441 with an 8 tooth sprocket. When I travel to the Sierras and the 441 is my backup saw I switch to a 25" ar and a 7 tooth sprocket. Both work fine. The 441 is a very smooth saw to run. Mine has been changed slightly with the addition of a set of stiffer springs which allow a bit greater precision when falling but it's no big deal. The 441 also seems to use much less fuel than I would expect it to. That is a good thing.

Nice buy looks really clean to. as for a 25 inch bar I think that it does make a difference on your back angle when cutting wood. I think that 441 will have no problem pulling a 25 inch bar if u want to go crazy u could always put a 32 inch bar on it. lol

Latest posts

Back