Timberwolf Processor & a Visit to The Cutting Edge (Pics!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillRat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I made the trip from NJ to The Cutting Edge to pick up my new TW3-HD splitter. :D I'll do the show & tell about the new splitter in another thread because I don't have any good pics yet. Scott (cuttinscott, an Arboristsite sponsor) met me there on a Sunday, a day they are normally closed, because that was the day that ended up working out best for both of us.

I got there earlier than I expected to, about 15 minutes before Scott showed up. The store was closed, of course, so while I was waiting for him, I got a good look at this used Timberwolf wood processor that he has for sale. Holy cow! I had to take pictures of this thing for you all. :biggrinbounce2:

Here are some pics of the shop and some of the equipment on the lot.

cutting_edge.jpg

Some nice Timberwolf splitters (TW-P1, TW-2, TW-2HD) waiting for a home:

splitters.jpg

and a TW-5 splitter with Timberwolf conveyor:

conveyor.jpg

This is the firewood processor:

processor1.jpg

(continued in next post...)

Last edited:
Other side of processor:

processor2.jpg

The operator controls. These are marked as follows: above the red button "Splitter Auto Cycle." To the right of that, "Wedge Lift." On the row below that, "Live Deck," "Feed Trough," "Saw," "Clamp," and "Bar."

control_panel.jpg

The three chamber hydraulic pump:

triple_pump.jpg

The feed roller:

feed_roller.jpg

(continued...)

Chainsaw back:

chainsaw_back.jpg

Chainsaw front:

chainsaw_front.jpg

The push plate:

push_plate.jpg

and the eight way wedge:

eight_way.jpg

Wow, what a nice machine. :biggrinbounce2:

Last, here is my TW3-HD sitting on the ground while Scott (that's his left foot on the forklift :) goes to get a pallet so that we can load the splitter into the back of my truck:

TW3-HD1.jpg

Between the rainy weather and some very busy weeks at work, I didn't have a chance to give my new splitter a try until a few days ago. After some adjustments to the splitter and the tractor, I got everything working. I had a chance to put some oak crotch pieces through the six-way wedge, and I have to say, this thing is a BEAST! It went through everything I threw at it with ease. I will take some pictures and videos this weekend and post them in another thread.

(If the splitter looks a little strange, it's the four-way and six-wedges that are stacked on top of each other on the main wedge for transport.)

I hope you enjoy the processor pics and thanks Scott!

Did you put down a deposit? you could be supplying some peeps with wood this weekend :)

Edit...... Wow....Yours ain't No Slouch.....Nice Piece....

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it? I'm thinking about getting one. And do you know what a log lift, wedge lift and table grate would cost. What are you running it on for a tractor (hp). Srry for so many questions.

Did you put down a deposit? you could be supplying some peeps with wood this weekend :)

I was afraid to ask the price! Timberwolf's stuff is top-notch, but it is not cheap! If I had the scratch for that thing, you can bet I would have brought it home!

Edit...... Wow....Yours ain't No Slouch.....Nice Piece....

Thanks! I went for the extra bucks and got the TW3-HD over the TW-3 and I am glad I did. It's super heavy duty, the build quality is excellent, and it goes through most stuff with the tractor just above idle, even with the multi-way wedges on it.

I'm very happy with it, and with the decision to go to the HD. I figure I'll only buy a splitter like this once in my life, so I decided to get the best I could... no regrets, no looking back!

Last edited:
Awesome unit! If I look a little closer I may see, but which model processor was that? I have a TW-5 splitter, that conveyor looked aweful nice...where are they located??

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it? I'm thinking about getting one. And do you know what a log lift, wedge lift and table grate would cost. What are you running it on for a tractor (hp). Srry for so many questions.

No problem, ask away! The list prices on this stuff are:

TW3-HD splitter, $2,995 (includes four-way wedge)
Six-way wedge, $595
Table grate, $495

The TW3, (non-HD) which is also a very nice PTO splitter, lists for $2,195. It does not include the four-way wedge.

There is some room to negotiate in the prices, but not as much as you might think. Scott at The Cutting Edge was very knowledgeable about Timberwolf's entire line and was very forthcoming and easy to talk to regarding pricing. (Negotiability also varies by model, btw, as Scott will explain.) You should definitely give him a call if you're thinking about a Timberwolf.

For all the research I did on the 'net, it was nothing compared to seeing the different models in person and talking to someone who really knows the differences between the models.

I'll put more details and specs in the thread about my own splitter. That will happen some time over the weekend, I hope.

Oh, and my tractor has about 20hp at the PTO and it is not working hard at all to power this splitter, even with tough pieces on the six-way wedge. I think Timberwolf recommends 18hp (PTO) and up.

Last edited:
Awesome unit! If I look a little closer I may see, but which model processor was that? I have a TW-5 splitter, that conveyor looked aweful nice...where are they located??

I'm not sure which model the processor is. I should have asked, but I was too busy drooling over my own TW3-HD and I forgot! :D

The Cutting Edge is in Greenwich, NY... an easy, and scenic, half hour north of Albany. (See http://www.fastcutting.com) I have family that lives nearby and I am there pretty often, so one day I stopped in... and you know how that goes. :laugh:

Those splitters are sick but I'm liking the Ventrac stuff in the background even better!! :)

The PTO powered snow blowers? I noticed those more while posting my photos than I did in person. Nice! My equipment budget is shot for a while, though. :) Snow removal will have be done with a rear blade this year.

Ed, Thanks for the post and the good words... For those who were interested the Timberwolf Processor is a New TWPROHD IL XL it is powered by a 80hp turbo Deere, Has the 8 way wedge, electric auto cycle splitter valve, Oil Cooler, and operator seat all that comes with the XL series. It is NEW has only seen 2 logs for demonstration purposes. It retails for $53995.00 there is not a lot of room to move but I'm in a dealing mood :cheers:

Those Ventrac Snowblowers you saw are designed to Fit the Front of the 4wd Ventrac 4000 series tractor and will also Fit Steiner Tractors. They are 52" swath 2 stage attach via a 2 point quick hitch and a pto drive belt. The 3 pictured are all sold along with more that are headed this way from the Ventrac Factory in Orrville Ohio. I need to get more splitters in, a few of those in your pics are already found new homes :)

Im Glad Your Happy with that TW3HD Ed and thanks again for the write up

Scott

Ed, Thanks for the post and the good words...

You're very welcome. Thanks for all the help with my splitter. :)

For those who were interested the Timberwolf Processor is a New TWPROHD IL XL ... It retails for $53995.00 there is not a lot of room to move but I'm in a dealing mood

Whoa! :jawdrop:

Allrighty then. :) If one of the two lottery tickets I bought tonight is a winner, you can put my name on that thing!

Those Ventrac Snowblowers you saw are designed to Fit the Front of the 4wd Ventrac 4000 series tractor

Aha. So they're not three-point units. Got it.

I need to get more splitters in, a few of those in your pics are already found new homes :)

Very good! Got to be some very happy people out there with their new Timberwolfs. I had very high expectations of Timberwolf and I have to say that they have exceeded them.

Im Glad Your Happy with that TW3HD Ed and thanks again for the write up.

Very happy, and thank you again, too. I will do a better write up of my splitter in another thread. The other day when I tried it out, it was just starting to get dark when my neighbor and I were putting the gnarly oak pieces through the six-way wedge, and we were so amazed that we just stood there with our jaws open and no one thought to take pictures!

This neighbor has a 27 ton MTD splitter (wedge-on-ram) that he has been kind enough to loan me a few times over the last few years. That's a good little machine for the money, but it was my experience with that machine that made me want to go with something more powerful and with multi-way wedge capability.

Hey Hillrat- Thanks for sharing your story and pics. Sweeeet! log splitter, looking forward to some pics when you get it going.

Alot of drool-worthy stuff there !

I have wet dreams of one day owning one of the big Timberwolf splitters and conveyor. :mad:

Oh yeah, me too! I wasn't kidding when I told Scott about the lottery tickets. I'd buy a 400 acre woodlot, build a house on it, then I'd call up Scott sounding a lot like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack when he's in the pro shop with his friend Wang (No offense!): "Give me one of those, and two of those, and six of those, .... " :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=171FURqSIQc

Then each year I would host the Northeast AS gathering at my place and everyone could come and play with the toys! :cheers:

Last edited:
Oh, and my tractor has about 20hp at the PTO and it is not working hard at all to power this splitter, even with tough pieces on the six-way wedge. I think Timberwolf recommends 18hp (PTO) and up.

How does it handle the weight? I have a 35hp tractor, but with a 6 ft HD brush hog out back you can feel the front is light. I haven't added any weights to that toy.

I have been thinking of going this route instead of building one, Maybe at tax time.

Back