Timberwolf Processor & a Visit to The Cutting Edge (Pics!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some nice Timberwolf splitters (TW-P1, TW-2, TW-2HD) waiting for a home:

splitters.jpg

Those are some nice looking machines in those pictures, Hillrat! :cheers:

But I think you must be mistaken about these guys being TWs. They can't be, you see. They have the wheels mounted directly to the hydraulic tank, and there's no way TW would do that. I know that because somebody on another thread told me that mounting the wheels that way was proof that Speeco splitters are junk, so the splitters you are showing can't possibly be TWs, now, can they?

:laugh:

Kidding aside, those are some nice toys! :clap:

Can you flip that splitter over and grab a round from the top with it? That would be the cat's meow for the big rounds. Forget lifting the wood, just split it where it is.

How does it handle the weight? I have a 35hp tractor, but with a 6 ft HD brush hog out back you can feel the front is light. I haven't added any weights to that toy.

I wondered about the weight, too. The splitter looks like a giant lever that would allow you to lift the front of the tractor off the ground by pressing down on the wedge end of the beam with one hand, :) but it doesn't.

Most of the weight of the splitter is at the 3PH end (tank, pump, steel frame, cylinder). Also, I keep my front loader on the tractor almost all the time, so that serves as a counter weight. At 725lbs wet weight, the splitter is nowhere near the 3PH lift capacity. Pushing down the wedge end of the beam seems only to shift the tractor's weight on its tires slightly.

Putting large, heavy rounds on the beam didn't seem to change the balance of the whole rig either.

I have been thinking of going this route instead of building one, Maybe at tax time.

I went through the same decision and I have to say that this was definitely the way to go for me.

Those are some nice looking machines in those pictures, Hillrat! :cheers:

Thanks. I thought so, too. I've never seen so much Timberwolf stuff in one place. I had to take pics, and pics must be posted. :givebeer:

But I think you must be mistaken about these guys being TWs. They can't be, you see. They have the wheels mounted directly to the hydraulic tank, and there's no way TW would do that. I know that because somebody on another thread told me that mounting the wheels that way was proof that Speeco splitters are junk, so the splitters you are showing can't possibly be TWs, now, can they?

Oh. Well, I guess not then. That's the great thing about the Internet, everything you read here is true. :dizzy: :D

Those must be cheap Chinese Timberwolf knockoffs. :monkey: No wonder Scott said that price negotiability varies by model!

Can you flip that splitter over and grab a round from the top with it? That would be the cat's meow for the big rounds. Forget lifting the wood, just split it where it is.

Not without flipping my tractor over, and that's something I try very hard to avoid! What I can do is lower the 3PH to get that beam laying on the ground, then roll a giant round right onto it.

P.S. I love your sig. :D Spelling and grammar are two more great things you can learn about just from reading the Interwebz!

pto hyd pump

I would like some info on how good the hyd pump works on the PTO. Most pto pumps are rated at 2250 psi so that would be lower than a regular engine drive pump. Do you have to run your tractor engine at the pto line on the tach to get good splitter speed? Does the splitter slow down much if you throttle down some. What hp is your tractor? Gas or diesel?
I have heard a diesel gets out of the power band if you throttle down. Can you notice that
in the splitter operation? Does the splitter move around much on the 3 point arms?

Oops! I see your tractor is 20 HP

Last edited:
Drool! Droooool! Droooooooooool!

Another PTO pump question for you. I noticed the pump attached to the hydraulic lines in your pics. Was that included with the HD model or was that an add-on for more $?

Very nice machine, BTW. Congrats! :clap:

I would like some info on how good the hyd pump works on the PTO. Most pto pumps are rated at 2250 psi so that would be lower than a regular engine drive pump. Do you have to run your tractor engine at the pto line on the tach to get good splitter speed? Does the splitter slow down much if you throttle down some. What hp is your tractor? Gas or diesel?

I was thinking that I'd talk about all of this stuff in a new thread about the splitter itself, but that's not the way it seems to be going :D so here goes...

You are correct that the Prince HC-PTO-1A pump is rated for 2,250 psi. Plugging that psi into the formula for splitter tonnage gives me the 22 ton rating that Timberwolf specifies.

Tractor is a Ford 3 cyl. diesel, 23HP engine, ~20HP PTO.

I have heard a diesel gets out of the power band if you throttle down. Can you notice that in the splitter operation? Does the splitter move around much on the 3 point arms?

There is a difference in power when running at 50% of 540 PTO rpm vs. full PTO rpm, but full PTO rpm power was not needed to push rounds through the multi-way wedges.

I didn't notice a difference in cycle time, but there was so much to pay attention to running a new splitter on the 3PH that I can't say if there was or wasn't. I will take cycle times at 50% and 100% of PTO rpm this weekend and post them.

The splitter is very stable on the lift arms. The lift arms on my tractor are braced with turnbuckles. I lock them in place to center the splitter between the rear tires (a pretty close fit!) when I first hitch up. After that, the splitter does not move on its pins at all during use. It also didn't move when I drove the tractor down my driveway, across the road, and over to my neighbors to do some splitting there, and that was a lot more jostling around than you would see in stationary splitting.

Drool! Droooool! Droooooooooool!

Yeah, seriously. :D This splitter is nicer in person than it looks in the pics. I'm sure I was drooling the morning I picked it up from Scott. Waiting two weeks to actually split wood with it after I got it home wasn't easy!

I figure it cost about twice what a so-called "37 ton" wedge-on-ram unit would cost at a big box store. It's easily twice the machine with more than twice the production capacity. Not to slam those machines, they are well made, and are a good value as well. I seriously considered a Speeco before deciding on the T'wolf. My neighbor's MTD does a great job and shows no signs of wear or strain after six or seven years of use and he works that thing hard on all the gnarly, crotchy pieces that I wouldn't split by maul.

Another PTO pump question for you. I noticed the pump attached to the hydraulic lines in your pics. Was that included with the HD model or was that an add-on for more $?

The base price of the TW3-HD includes the splitter, four-way wedge, pump, torque arm/anti-rotation bracket and chain, hoses, hydraulic fluid, and a thorough greasing and testing out by Scott.

I added only the six-way wedge and the table grate.

Very nice machine, BTW. Congrats! :clap:

Thanks! I'm looking forward to really cranking out some cords with it this weekend. More pics to come...

Last edited:
Ed, Thanks for the post and the good words... For those who were interested the Timberwolf Processor is a New TWPROHD IL XL it is powered by a 80hp turbo Deere, Has the 8 way wedge, electric auto cycle splitter valve, Oil Cooler, and operator seat all that comes with the XL series. It is NEW has only seen 2 logs for demonstration purposes. It retails for $53995.00 there is not a lot of room to move but I'm in a dealing mood :cheers:
Scott

That's the newfangled model of the processor my brother is running. His is not in-line but offset. My brother's is 9/10? years old and is a beast. I think he paid ~$45-47 for his back then. Worth every penny and then some. 25K hours on the motor and still no problems. He did wear out the main beam and he had that rebuilt. 2000+ face cords of wood per year will do that when metal on metal is happening on the beam. :laugh:

splitter

my buddy and me came from ct to get tw2 and 2 7900 dolmars best price and best guy you could meet good luck scott keep up the good work god bless

Last edited:
Back