Hydraulic fluid diffusing through hose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have hydraulic fluid diffusing THROUGH the return hose on my Huskee 35-ton. It runs the entire length of the hose, but not the very ends, and I see no leak from the hose clamp.

It has the original original TSC hydraulic fluid in the system and the hose is original, too. I last used the machine about 3 months ago and it has always been stored indoors (almost always in a 60°F+ garage). By accident, I did leave the garage door open last night and the outside temperature was in the 30's, but I once stored it in a 30°F barn for a week last year and never had this occur. What causes this? Just cheap crappy hose that needs to be replaced?

LeakyHydroHose02.jpg

LeakyHydroHose01.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert on hydraulics but that can't be right. I think I'd take that machine (or at least the hose) back to TSC and show them. Clearly someone used the wrong type or inferior quality hose when the unit was assembled. What's really scary is wondering what they used on the pressure side? I'm sure you are aware of the dangers of high pressure hydraulic fluid and how now you have to ask yourself can you trust anything about the factory plumbing? I'd push to have them replace all of the hydraulic hoses on your machine for your safety and peace of mind.

Be safe!

JN

It almost sounds like they ran out of quality hydraulic hose during assembly and used heater hose instead. I still think you are not being unreasonable to ask them to replace it. Also, if the hose is deteriorating is there a possibility it is coming apart into the fluid? Good thing there is a filter downstream of it.

JN

You do make a good point, and it's going to be replaced before I use it again. All the new Huskee splitters I've seen use this return line, so it may simply be an issue of mfg. quality control with this component. What I really want to know is what causes this, so it may be avoided in the future.

It has to be an issue related to the hose material not being compatible with the hydraulic fluid. Apparently it is not. I don't know the composition of heater hose but I think that even it will stand up to petroleum products.

I wonder if the hose they used on your splitter is garden (water) hose? I remember many years ago when working in a gas station that the water hoses we used to clean the service bays would get soft on the outer jacket from the grease and oil.

Regardless, I can't see any way that they can deny that it isn't just plain wrong.

JN

somewhere on the assembly line/ supply line, someone pulled the wrong hose material, or it was improperly packaged before shipment to assembly plant.

Many years ago ( early 80's) I had a GMC company van that the door latch assembly broke (under warranty i2mo. or 12k mi) took 4 months to get a new part because the opposite side was packaged under the coding for the side I needed. Before you ask, we ordered the other side and got the same part.

The hose material is the wrong composition for hydraulic use. Heater hose used for hydraulic return line will sweat hydraulic fluid and slowly break down. This hose break down can shorten the useful life of the filter. The deterioration is slow so unless ignored the hose can be replaced before major leakage occurs.
Danger of bursting the return hose is unlikely because it should rarely exceed 15 psi which is the pressure that the filter bypass opens.

I remember a while back there were some people posting that had the same problem you are describing. I think there was a bad batch of hoses on some models.

Speeco has good customer service, my guess is if you call them they will work with you to make it right.

Their customer service # is: 800-525-8322

i know the return line is low pressure, but, are you comfortable using hose clamps?

wood splitter

I have hydraulic fluid diffusing THROUGH the return hose on my Huskee 35-ton. It runs the entire length of the hose, but not the very ends, and I see no leak from the hose clamp.

It has the original original TSC hydraulic fluid in the system and the hose is original, too. I last used the machine about 3 months ago and it has always been stored indoors (almost always in a 60°F+ garage). By accident, I did leave the garage door open last night and the outside temperature was in the 30's, but I once stored it in a 30°F barn for a week last year and never had this occur. What causes this? Just cheap crappy hose that needs to be replaced?

LeakyHydroHose02.jpg

LeakyHydroHose01.jpg

About your wood splitter;

The proper term is bleeding through the hose carcass and a return line should never, never, never do that!!!

Why MTD did the hose clamps instead of hose fittings on said hose is another worry; and no excuse, as the hose in use will not accept fittings.

I would purchase either a high quality return line hydraulic hose and the 4 fitting required for the job or a 2 wire pressure hose the length required for the JOB.

By the way The hose installation is improper and dangerous for hydraulic hose installation.

The return line must be secured with loom clamps as it has a flexible hose.

The work is very shoddy and endangers you and others as a hose rupture will almost surely empty the reservoir before you or someone else has the opportunity toi shut the machine off.

The return line must be shorter than its current length as the sagging is very bad as well.

The return line can simply sweep down in a smaller arc securing it with loom clamps to work properly and avoid blowing out.

Please replace it with a better hose and fittings and the filter fitting quickly as you are risking the possibility of a severe oil burn from a ruptured hose.

Last edited:
The hose length is longer because it has to be used in 2 positions horizontal and vertical. Properly installed hose clamps can resist pressures greater than the bursting point of the standard oil filter can.

Speeco shipped me a new hose.. Sad part was the first hose was Made in the USA too.. Just not a good enough hose. Call Carolyn Reyes at Speeco. I am sure she will ship you another hose on their dime.

It is possible the first hose was a quality product, but for the wrong application. No wire hoses often are good for 150 psi and secure using hose clamps. A return hose should never see anything close to that.

All manufacturers screw up from time to time. The good ones admit it and fix the problem.

Update

I did some checking and here's what I found:

The hose is not defective--it's simply the wrong hose for the application. It's a Thermoid MAINLINER, which is a pneumatic hose not rated for transferring oils/hydraulic fluid. I took a trip to TSC and looked at the new Huskee splitters, and their return lines are Thermoid VERSICON, which are indeed rated for conveying oil, diesel, and some other petro products.

I called Kevin at SpeeCo and he confirmed what I wrote above, and stated that the wrong hose was mistakenly used on some units made in 2009. He's sending me a new hose ASAP. Thanks, Kevin!

Thanks to all who replied. It was pretty much as you all guessed--it was a quality hose, but not designed for hydraulic fluid.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on hydraulics but that can't be right. I think I'd take that machine (or at least the hose) back to TSC and show them. Clearly someone used the wrong type or inferior quality hose when the unit was assembled. What's really scary is wondering what they used on the pressure side? I'm sure you are aware of the dangers of high pressure hydraulic fluid and how now you have to ask yourself can you trust anything about the factory plumbing? I'd push to have them replace all of the hydraulic hoses on your machine for your safety and peace of mind.

Be safe!

JN

:agree2:

I think 90% of Huskee splitter problems are from stupid idiots at TSC putting them together wrong.

About your wood splitter;

The proper term is bleeding through the hose carcass and a return line should never, never, never do that!!!

Why MTD did the hose clamps instead of hose fittings on said hose is another worry; and no excuse, as the hose in use will not accept fittings.

I would purchase either a high quality return line hydraulic hose and the 4 fitting required for the job or a 2 wire pressure hose the length required for the JOB.

By the way The hose installation is improper and dangerous for hydraulic hose installation.

The return line must be secured with loom clamps as it has a flexible hose.

The work is very shoddy and endangers you and others as a hose rupture will almost surely empty the reservoir before you or someone else has the opportunity toi shut the machine off.

The return line must be shorter than its current length as the sagging is very bad as well.

The return line can simply sweep down in a smaller arc securing it with loom clamps to work properly and avoid blowing out.

Please replace it with a better hose and fittings and the filter fitting quickly as you are risking the possibility of a severe oil burn from a ruptured hose.
:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Any good hydraulic shop should be able to replace that hose, with the correct fittings, ( those hose clamps look scary) for about 20 bucks.

I have replaced hydraulic lines and will do this one myself--no hydraulic shop needed. Yes, I understand the difference between the current hose and a reinforced hose designed for high pressure hydraulics and petro-chemicals.

Yes, hose clamps can cut into the hose line. Yes, hose clamps can loosen. Yes, hose clamps can fail. Yes, yes, yes, yes.... :deadhorse:

Of course, hydraulic fittings would be more secure than hose clamps, but you need to keep in mind that both Thermoid hoses I mentioned are rated for up to 300 psi, and the return line doesn't even approach 30 psi. The problem was that it was the wrong hose for the application.

Sure, I can buy a 3000 psi highly reinforced hydraulic hose, but SpeeCo is sending me a free hose that's just fine for the pressure and chemicals present. The scientist in me wants to monitor this new hose to see how it performs. I know there are risks, but I fully understand them.

I have an old tsc splitter I have replace that hose on 2x (I drop logs on the lower barb and the end of the hose ends up cut by the fitting. Any good hydralic shop has a red oil hose that works great. The cost is negligible.

Latest posts

Back