Break'n'Mending Stihl Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensen 32000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wondering if I have a chain breaker is it possible to reuse rivets or do you need new connecting links to build new chains off the spool? Thanks in advance, Mike

It wouldn't be safe to re-use links. When you buy a roll of chain it comes with a package of connecting links and straps.

Possible but not advisable. Spare links are worth the pennies they cost-but if you have to do it -yes you can reuse links in a pinch.

Hi Mike, yes you can, but it makes it easier if you punch them out evenly. That way they go back together easier. It sounds like you dont have new ones or you are shortening a used chain. Using new rivets on a used chain is not good unless the tie straps are ground down to match the old ones.
John

I reuse them all the time and suffered no consequences from it........the key is doing what Gypo said punch them out evenly.....a little flat file work and you are a good to go.......Wade

Jensen 32000,

From the title of your thread it seems obvious that you already know that the Break N Mend or whatever it`s called is designed to reshape the rivets on the presets so that they can be reused.

As John and Wade stated, keeping the straps straight is key and minimizing deformation of the rivet as you push it through is also important. Push a little on one rivet and then go to the next, work back and forth between them pushing a small amount each time. It doesn`t take long at all.

If you aren`t attempting a field repair, but instead building new loops, why not use new presets?

Russ

I've never tried being careful breaking chain, just use a benchmounted breaker in the shop and they pretty badly deform the links.

He does say he's making new chains from a spool and a spool comes with a pack of new pre-sets so I'm wondering why he has a need to re-use pieces. Or did the seller remove the pack so he'd have extras??? If thats the case I'd go back and raise a little heck.

I would have to be a bit desperate to reuse rivets. No question it can and has ben done. Cold working from the The original heading operation work hardens the end of the rivet beyond the unworked condidtion. Depending on shape of punch, rivet is often sheared out of the head in breaking operation and a lot of the material to form a new head is lost. Sometimes it dishes and pushes all the rivet back thru the tie strap but this almost has to be ground off to get it back into another tie strap. In any case, when you go to re rivet the material is much work hardened and not as easily upset to expand into the tie strap. Spinning or peining can make flower petal radial cracks in the severely work hardened new head. It will not be as forgiving as a once spun rivet. I dont like the thought of having a flying chain wrapped around my hand or leg. To me it has too many possible negatives for the price of a 50 cent preset.

Update

It was an Ebay deal, Stihl round chisel, 25' 3/8 x .063" new for ended up $84 cnd delivered, no links and never implied there was. I phoned a Stihl dealer and he was talking $1.75 cnd each. Seems like a little more than pennies each if I need at least 6 or 7. Thank You for all your imput guys. Mike

Cant remember exactly but Gregg at Baileys fixed me up with some for around 40 cent a piece Canadian on a 50 item basis. Many 50 and 58 share same components. 63 is different and not sure if Stihl shares components with others.

Back