7900 vs 385 vs 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone time them against each other? if so which one came out on top.. ive had my 7900 for a few months now and love it.. took a bit to losen up but ever since its been great to run.
well just thought i would check up on this and see if anythings been tryed and tested. :)

Put 'em in the same truck and they all clock the same speed. ;)

Seriously, While they are all competing and comparable saws a 372 is actually closer in displacement to a 460 than is a 385. The 7900 is in the middle of 460-385 but the big boy if you make it 372-460 -7900. Speed tests are interesting and I'll be delighted to read of some timed cuts but they really only prove what happened in a particular log on a particular day. All good saws. My first choice is the 7900.

When my 7900 was new I ran it agianst a 385 that was also brand new out of the box on the day in question. In the same log with the brand new factory ground chains on the smae length bar, the 7900 was two tenths of a second quicker with multiple operators trying it. We didn't have a like condition Stihl to try but I suspect it would not have come out on top.

Actually , Ben's 7900 has a bogus oiler. The more he has worked on it the more bogus it has become. MY 7900 oils very nicely. :umpkin:

IMO it all depends on what you have in the way of dealer support. I don't mind dealing over the internet for Dolmar parts. Plus I can repair my own saws. If dealer support is more important for whatever reason go for the Stihl 460. I have nothing against the Husky 385 except that it heavy than the 7900 or 460.

Too many people see the 7900 and the 385 as a good comparison, I don't. For the added weight the 385 offers nothing over the 7900!

sedanman said:
When my 7900 was new I ran it agianst a 385 that was also brand new out of the box on the day in question. In the same log with the brand new factory ground chains on the same length bar, the 7900 was two tenths of a second quicker with multiple operators trying it. We didn't have a like condition Stihl to try but I suspect it would not have come out on top.

I also participated in this comparison. Paul is right on this one. The speed difference is moot to me when the difference is that little. Going directly from the 7900 to the 385 is like dancing with J. Lo then switching too Roseann Barr!

The first one............great to hold, smooth, nice lines! The second, big, bulbous and overweight!!!

Stumper said:
Actually , Ben's 7900 has a bogus oiler. The more he has worked on it the more bogus it has become. MY 7900 oils very nicely. :umpkin:
Yea, its a shame you have to back yard engineer something the factory should have had right the first time. BTW stumper count your self lucky that yours works...at least for now. How much time do you have on it?

Stumper. i agree all it would be is what saw won on what particular day. in a particular log. i think it would be interesting though if someone had all 3 of these saws accessable and could put them into some different sizes of wood and see what they come up with. .

Ben, Ive had the 7900 for four months, Hours? I'm not sure. Maybe 30. As an arborist there are lots of days when a large saw never is needed. The 7900 gets used on removals when there is something sizable to buck. Working on urban trees means hitting wire and nails occassionally. I've almost used up one chain but I used up a third of it in one day where I hit metal multiple times. Actually, Since I used the standard compliment chain on the first several jobs before I changed to an 8 pin and skip It probably works out just about exactly to one chain used up-Other than grown in garbage I generally stay out of the dirt.

I have got 150+ hrs. on my 7900 falling pine timber and a bit of firewood. Still have two 460s with lots more time on them and a 046 that is worn out. Have never been around a 385 other than in a saw shop. No oiler problems with the 7900. My 7900 will outcut my 460s now and still would if they were newer. .I have always ran Stihl and always liked them but my definite favorite now is the Dolmar. It has been trouble free so far.

John

I have been banging my head against a wall in frustration trying to find a list of dolmar dealers. I am interested in getting a 7900 but the dolmar website is totally usesless. who is the closest dolmar dealer to minnesota? Is there a list with ph numbers? thanks

i hade a go on my friends 046 with a 16" bar and was blown away and know looking for a small new saw looked at a 359 and the cs2159 do you think i should take a look at the dolmars to then

I think you should wait and see what Ed has to say about them all. I believe he's spent many hours with them and the stihls. Gypo owns both a 385 and a 7900 he would know since he cuts the most on here. :alien: :eek:

What ever Gypo's runnin, he's smashin! But he likes the 999 the best for smashin!

Moe, The Dolmar site is not too helpful in finding a dealer. Call them at 888-673-7278 and ask them for the number of the distributor in your area then call the distributor and ask for a local dealer. This is NOT the best way to find a dealer but it does work. Also seek out Makita dealers because Makita owns Dolmar and all of the Makita line is re-badged Dolmars. The makita models even start with DCS Dolmar Chain Saw!

Give Hunter a call or PM, he's a A.S. sponsor and Dolmar Dealer.

As far as the 999, I am not sure a tree could hurt it, it is built pretty much like a mack truck.

out of those 3 saws I would choose the 7900, reasons- it is light, has as good of power as the 385 and more than a 460. good vibration control which is important me cause of white finger, the latest 7900's I have got have the better switch in them .
I am talking about them being stock to,
the 460 is a good saw but you need to open the muffler up before I would even use it, with that small hole in the muffler you are giving up alot of power and the 385 is a good saw but is 2 lbs heavier

Back