7900 vs 385 vs 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 460 runs good after they are modified. But,they need alot of work on the jug and piston. The combustion chamber alittle big on the 460's. The 044's are the best stihl built. They will make a fast hot rod.

Sedanman, if that is the number from the website, I did tryit but got an answering machine; I haven't heard back,(one week). How are parts availability and cost? I'm always one to try something different,(as in the dolmar) as long as parts arent' a problem,

Moe, Parts aren't too difficult to get as long as you are willing to wait a few days. But think of it this way, How many parts do you really ever need? I got a few spare parts for mine and put them away, haven't had to touch the stash yet. Clean the air filter and replace the plug from time to time (they 'go bad', you know (inside joke)) and an occasional rim sprocket and fuel filter is most of the parts you'll use. Rims, plugs and fuel filters are somewhat universal and easy to get your hands on. Any place that services Makita power equipment can get you Dolmar parts. I found out that the local tool rental place can get me any Dolmar part in 2 days if I pay the freight.

I`d just have to repeat what Ed said. I`ve got all three of these models but frankly don`t have much time on them because I normally run smaller saws. If I were to buy another saw in this class today it would be the 7900.

What I`m waiting to see is if Husky takes advantage of the potential for a larger bore in the 575, maybe a 585? They would have a saw that would be hard to beat.

Regarding the "rash" of bearing problems that Ben reports, I`ve only heard of it from a few areas and it has not been a trend locally from talking to my friends at CCD, House Trucking, or CJ Logging which have all sold boatloads of them. The problem, if it exists, may have something to do with local fuel or oil quantity and quality issues, or maybe the guys running them don`t have them set up properly. That could be indicative of a particular dealers technical ability. I have come to believe that all modern saws benefit from running a richer than 50:1 fuel/oil ratio, especially when running OEM oil.

For a really wicked 460, give Ed Heard a call. You`ll be amazed with what he gets out of them.

Russ

The 385's that I have seen with bearing trouble were on the lower rod bearing , the cage would break but Husky warrantry took care of it, they sent a complete new bottom end for the saw as long as the top end was ok, if not they got a new saw.
Russ is correct on the oil , guys using abit more oil didnot have the trouble and around here alot of 372's have had there crank say see you later but they are most of the times guys running 50-1 oil ratio, the guys using husky oil at 32-1 seem to not have any trouble

32/1 just seems to prevent all sorts of problems doesn't it? Even when I was younger and dumber and I ran the cheapest 2 cycle oil I could find at 32/1 I had no problems.

RAHTREELIMBS said:
I have nothing against the Husky 385 except that it heavy than the 7900 or 460.

Too many people see the 7900 and the 385 as a good comparison, I don't. For the added weight the 385 offers nothing over the 7900!
Rich, don't be dogging Elux for making a heavy saw!

Glen

ehp said:
The 385's that I have seen with bearing trouble were on the lower rod bearing , the cage would break but Husky warrantry took care of it, they sent a complete new bottom end for the saw as long as the top end was ok, if not they got a new saw.
Russ is correct on the oil , guys using abit more oil didnot have the trouble and around here alot of 372's have had there crank say see you later but they are most of the times guys running 50-1 oil ratio, the guys using husky oil at 32-1 seem to not have any trouble
The failures I have seen in the local shop are mostly big end rod bearing failures, but there are also a few crank bearing failures on the 372 and 385.
i tend to agree that a 50:1 ratio is at least partially responsible, but I dont thinks its the only factor. there are a plethora of things that can contribute to less than ideal bearing life. Everything from harmonics to material issues.

Lower and big rod end bearings somehow I would think are the same bearing, the bigger rod end is the lower end of the rod correct?, The 385's that I seen have problems were the earlier saws I have seen none of the new 385's with the same problem.
Glens you always seem to be putting any other saw brand down but Stihl has had it's far share of big big screw-ups, like when they came out with the new big filter on the 066 mag. some how they forgot about snow and these saws were great until you started cutting in deep snow, you could not fall a tree before the filter was full of snow and froze up. that winter they recalled every 066 up here back to the dealers and put the old style parts back in them like the 064 so they would run, then when they went from gasket material to steel gaskets under the cylinder, Ontario must of got every saw that the gaskets was wrong in cause once the saw got warm the gasket would not grow at the same rate as the rest of the saw because it was made out of steel and in would tear the bottom off the piston and the piston would break and she was all over, I cannot count how many 044's I seen that winter with that problem and it took about 5 to 10 minutes for the saw to break, yes all saw makers have good and bad but it is up to you to figure out what you want to use

ehp said:
Lower and big rod end bearings somehow I would think are the same bearing, the bigger rod end is the lower end of the rod correct?, The 385's that I seen have problems were the earlier saws I have seen none of the new 385's with the same problem.
Whe are talking about the same bearing,Ed. FWIW at least two of the 385's with bad bearings I have seen where less than a year old.

Rich,
What should you do to the carb as far as adjusting it when converting to a 32:1 ratio?

Toneman said:
Rich,
What should you do to the carb as far as adjusting it when converting to a 32:1 ratio?

I have not seen a great difference in the rpm a saw makes WOT going from 50:1 to 32:1. However that doesn't mean it won't change. I just recheck the saw while cutting. The saw should 4 stroke (burble) a little out of the cut and should make most of it's power in the cut also. I get a tach reading after the saw is adjusted and make a record of it. Hope this helps!

MOE, we have a brand new Dolmar wholesaler in Plymouth, MN and they are setting up dealers on a daily basis in the area. There name is Hance Co and their phone number is 763-559-2299

What about ratios with regards to synthetics Vs. Dino oils? The oils that are supposed to run at 100:1, do you still run them at 32:1?

Oil Ratio

I run all my 2-stroke equipment on synthetic at 32:1 . I makes me feel like a rebel watching the plumes of smoke tearing a whole in the ozone and causing breathing problems in squirrles. It also provides the equipment with some added protection.

Running ANY 2 cycle engine with 100:1 mix is a dangerous thing to me. I've stuck to 32:1 since my saws seem to like it, and I like it. cheap insurance, and no long term problems besidese a little more smoke in some cases.

Latest posts

Back