Echo CS-670 Info!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I scored an Echo CS-670 on a recent straight up trade. The first thing to go were the carb limiter caps. I ran the saw and it cut pretty good with the stock muffler. I then opened up the muffler. I was able to use the stock opening as it was quite big. I just removed all the innards at that spot and the muffler is now ported. I haven't ran it yet with the muffler modded.

The thing that I didn't like is that the CS-670 uses an entirely different bar mount that anything else I own. A little time with a Vernier caliper revealed that the oil hole is within specs of the big Husky mount ( Oregon # D009 ).
The bar stud grooves are only a little bigger also. So I made these neat little spacers on my lathe that will now allow me to use any of the many big Husky mount bars that I have. Why Echo would do this is anyones guess!

One other thing about this saw is the large amount of oil that the oiler puts on the bar. I am running a 24" bar and the oil output is almost too much. Add to that fact that this saw has a manual override.

Check out the pics. The first 2 are the stud spacers, the 3rd one is the muffler.

Last edited:
Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Rich, Actually that Echo bar mount fits a lot of things-Echos, Tanakas, Poulans and since the slot is the same-a lot of Small mount(K095) Huskies and Jonseys along with older Dolmars. Your use of spacers is cool to use your D009 bars. Going the other way-- One advantage of using the actual Echo mount bars for K095 applications is the greater tailwidth-If you run an 8 pin sprocket on a Dolmar 120si the K095 runs the chain mostly out of barrails for a couple of inches-not so with the 176 (Echo Pattern) bars.

Congrats on the saw!

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey Justin, I realize the other applications. With all the saws that I own I didn't want to have to buy different bars and spin special chains for one saw. The 24" Echo bar uses 81 drive links opposed to the 84 of the D009. I don't mind buying a separate bar, but to have chains limited to that one saw was something I didn't want.

Look at that chain in the pic. It is .325 full-skip full-chisel. One might asked why would I use that. Well I have 10 loops of it and I wanted to use it, so it wound up on the Echo. I know it is not as smooth as full-comp, but it is better than buying more chain!

glens

glens

Former Member
RAHTREELIMBS said:
With all the saws that I own I didn't want to have to buy different bars and spin special chains for one saw.
Rich,

First, a Husky saw is too heavy as compared to others, and now you're concerned about parts commonality.  Where's the world coming to?

One day soon you'll be fully converted to the orange/white color scheme.  Hahaha!

trimmmed

trimmmed

B?rgermeister
bwalker said:
I propose we bestow upon Rich the title of official aboristsite odd ball saw king.

Ben is this official? Are you saying we should stop calling Rich the "arboristsite odd ball" and start adding "saw king" and is that with or without a comma? ;)

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Rich,I have to admit I have trouble relating to making spacers to run a D009 bar and then running .325 pitch chain but I'm glad you are Stihl resisting the orange and white .

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Stumper said:
Rich,I have to admit I have trouble relating to making spacers to run a D009 bar and then running .325 pitch chain but I'm glad you are Stihl resisting the orange and white .

I wholeheartedly agree. I want to get this chain used up so I may as well use it. Since ported saws have entered my stable so has a certain performance benchmark so to speak. So this .325 chain may have to go, we will see!

I will be running 3/8 chain at some point. Those spacers were made to accomodate the D009 bar mount not the .325 chain!

Latest posts