Husky 455 vs. 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wksinatl

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. Great forum. Sounds like a lot of hard working folks hang out here. OK here goes...It seems the 455 has replaced the 55. What are the differences (pros and cons)? I went to Lowes and bought what was advertised as a 455 for 349.00. I bought the saw, oil, bar oil, etc. and headed for the woods. I read the paper work and got down to it. The saw ran good throwing out nice chunks of wood. On the 2nd fill up I noticed that the model number on the saw was "55" not the "455" I expected. It seemed MUCH quieter than my Stihls and did not seem to have the rpms that the other saws have BUT...it cut great and had much less vibration.

OK, having said all of this...
1) am I better off with the 55 than I would be with a 455?
2) Should the price be reduced because it is a discontinued saw?
3) Are Huskys made for Lowes built to different specs (quality) than ones that are at the small shops?

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Keith

wksinatl said:
3) Are Huskys made for Lowes built to different specs (quality) than ones that are at the small shops?

1) Yes
2) Probably not
3) No (although you are likely to find more of a selection of pro-line saws at your dealer)

Personally I think you are better off with the 55. The 455, to me, seems like an overweight pig of a saw. Considering that the 455 weighs in at almost what a Stihl 440 does I consider it very overweight.

At this website.........Bill's

The 55 goes for $283. Granted this is an internet site, so the price will be less.

wksinatl said:
3) Are Huskys made for Lowes built to different specs (quality) than ones that are at the small shops? ...........
1) Probably, due to the weight difference.
2) Depends on how sought after it is.
3) No, but service quality is another story.......

wksinatl said:
It seemed MUCH quieter than my Stihls and did not seem to have the rpms that the other saws have BUT...it cut great and had much less vibration.

Saw manufacturers must all meet mandated minimum noise levels. Your 55 is probably no quieter than any other recently manufactured saws. If you compare a new saw to saws manufactureed 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 years ago yes it will sound quieter not only at the muffler but at the drive train also as your older saws have years of use and of course are looser.

Your older saws could also be revving higher which would also account for more noise.

1- Yes as the 55 has a an adjustable carb, while the 455 I believe has a fixed jet carb only.

2- Not really, but you can try to get Lowes to kick in a rebate.

3- The 55 is the same everywhere except perhaps for choice of bar & chain which could vary in special sales & promotions.

fixedjet.. forget it.. i wont buy..good old type saws with adjustable.. will in my opinion become a good place to invest a little money..there value wil go up in the next yrs.. jmo.

Lobo said:
3- The 55 is the same everywhere except perhaps for choice of bar & chain which could vary in special sales & promotions.

Not quite the same, in fact. At least there is .1 hp difference between the 55 and the 55R(ancher). ;)
How about spur vs. rim sprockets?

SawTroll said:
Not quite the same, in fact. At least there is .1 hp difference between the 55 and the 55R(ancher). ;)
How about spur vs. rim sprockets?

He mentionned 55 vs 455 did not mention Rancher.

All 55 are the same regardless from who you buy it.

All 55 Ranchers are same regardless from who you buy it..

All 455 are the same regardless from who you buy it.

All 3 are within the same family of saws with the 455 being the most curent.

There are little differences between the various version as small as they are.

There are little differences between the first two versions.&nbsp; The third is <i>quite</i> different.

glens said:
There are little differences between the first two versions.&nbsp; The third is <i>quite</i> different.

Glen I agree the differences between the 55 and 55 Rancher are hardly worth talking about. My understanding of the 455 is that it has 2.3 cc's more with the X-Torq engine, a torque band which is wider spread of the r.p.m's with improved anti-vibes. The hp is now 3.4 or 2.5 kw and now weights in at a hefty 12.8 lbs / 5.8 kg. I was told it had a fixed jet carb however (which I really hope is not accurate).

Not all that much different from its predecessors but with needed improvements and good current updates..

My only problem with it, is its 12.8 lbs for a 3.4 hp saw. WOOF!

The 455 I saw in Louisville last summer did not have fixed jets, to my recollection.

I'm getting ready to buy a saw, as well. My first one. I've always liked Stihl very much, having used them for most of the summer of '92 in Minnesota, cutting firewood to sell. If I remember correctly we had an 024, 044 and an 064 that we used regularly. The 64 was a beast, bulldozing its way through any chunk of maple you threw at it and practically laughing at the birch we also cut. I enjoyed using the others, too.
I'm planning on installing a wood stove in our old farm house soon, and I expect to cut no more than 2 or 3 cords of firewood per year since the stove will be more of a heat supplement (and/or emergency heat source). I'm the type of person who prefers to buy a little more machine than I need, and I like to buy quality so that I don't have to replace equipment a couple of years down the road. I have now spent a bit of time browsing this forum and have come to the conclusion that dollar for dollar the Husky is probably the choice for me. I really think I would enjoy owning a Stihl 260, especially after my past experience, but at about $450 it's a bit steep for my pocketbook at this time. The other Stihl more in my price range would be a 290, but it's a homeowner saw. As a result, I think I have most likely narrowed my choice down to a 55 Rancher or a 455 Rancher. I can buy the 55R from Bill's for $300 shipped or I can buy the 455R from Southwest Supply for $325 shipped. The general consensus seems to be that the 55R is a slam dunk between these two. Is there ANY good reason why I should consider the 455 instead? Should I instead go with the 353 for $318 shipped? I know the 55 and 455 are often compared, but how do they compare to the 353?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the right saw the first time.

353!

Jconaway said:
........As a result, I think I have most likely narrowed my choice down to a 55 Rancher or a 455 Rancher. I can buy the 55R from Bill's for $300 shipped or I can buy the 455R from Southwest Supply for $325 shipped. The general consensus seems to be that the 55R is a slam dunk between these two. Is there ANY good reason why I should consider the 455 instead? Should I instead go with the 353 for $318 shipped? I know the 55 and 455 are often compared, but how do they compare to the 353?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the right saw the first time.
Of the 3 Huskys you mention, and the stated prices, my choice would definitively be the 353. It is a more modern design than the 55/55R (but still proven), much less vibration, a bit less weight, more nice features and the same power. It is simply a nicer saw to operate, without any drawbacks! :) Be sure to get it with 95VP chain and corresponding bar - cuts very nice and smooth!

By the way, where I live the 353 and MS 260 cost close to the same - my choise was the 353, but it mas a close call as the 260 is somewhat lighter.

The 455 should be deleted from your list ASAP due to the power vs. weight issue alone. :angry: It is also an unproven design.
It would be interesting to see what ehp could get out of one though! :blob2:

Lobo said:
All 55 are the same regardless from who you buy it.

All 55 Ranchers are same regardless from who you buy it..
:) I think that is true within North America, but it is not true world wide. There are at least different mufflers, and maybe carbs too.
In fact I think this is the case with most, if not all, Husky and Jred saws - due to EPA.

Yes, I know I am beeing "picky" now, as this is of little or no relevance to the tread starter.

Ok, so the 353 sounds good to me. What is the difference between the "P" and the "HL" bars? They're both laminated but I couldn't find any info as to how they compare.

Thanks!

BTW, I agree with SawTroll. The 353 would be the best of the bunch. The 55 rancher is good also. The new 455 rancher has, I believe, a plastic crankcase. That would make it less rebuildable and more of a non-pro saw,IMO.

in all my comparisions of the 455, 55, 353, 350, and 346XP, I myself went with the 353. Very good power, lowest vibration (next to the 350!) and real nice balance with a 16" bar. The ranchers are about 2 pounds heavier, and not a real big difference in HP ( less than a tenth). :)

Back