New Saw Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope you guys don't get to tired of me asking questions, but I'll ask this one anyway. I will be looking for a new saw within the next couple of years.
I was wondering which of the listed saws would be the best for the money. I will be using it to cut approximately 2 1/2 semi loads of wood a year. My choices are:

Stihl MS440 70.7cc $699.95
Dolmar PS7300 73cc $649.95
Jonsered 2171 Turbo 70.7cc $625.00
Husqvarna 372XP 70.7cc $560.00
Echo CS-670 67cc $469.00

Are the Stihl and Dolmar worth the extra money? Will they last that much longer? Thank-You Very much.
Wood Cutter

Sure wish I could have got my 372 that cheap (even after exchange). Can only vote for the 372, awesome saw. 2nd choice would be the Stihl. Cant speak for the others, only 2 kinds-Huskyor Stihl.

Good its been discontinued, when I bought my 372xp, they were discontinuing the 371xp, could have got a good deal on the 371s that were left. But I had to have the newest bling so I paid more and got the 372. Later I bought a barely used 371xp, love them both but I would have been better of with two 371s. Get one.

If you're just bucking logs, look at the Stihl 361. You don't need the 5+ hp, and 13+ lbs of alot of the other saws to buck logs. That said, I know that I NEVER want to be on the short end of needing more ponies. These are all good saws, but it again comes down to what it always does-how important is a local dealer to you, deciding if weight is your main concern, or if hp to pull a bigger bar through hard wood is, or if you want a happy medium. I like the 440, but I don't own one. I went with the 460, because of the NEVER wanting to be on the short side of hp, and am happy with it. And if you're buying next year, or two years from now, who knows what will be out by then?

Take care all,
Jeff

Wood Cutter said:
Are the Stihl and Dolmar worth the extra money? Will they last that much longer? Thank-You Very much.
Wood Cutter

I don't have any of these saws, but I have read a lot about all of them. I think that the Dolmar is probably worth the extra money if you like the way it handles, because of its additional power at no weight penalty.
The Stihl is a 20 year old construction, but still a good saw. Not worth any extra money, rather the opposite.

The Husky and Jred is basically the same saw. The Jred is prettier, but I am skeptical to the unusual angle of the front handle. It will probably be available for a while, even though the Husky is discontinued - so far in USA only.

The Echo is not comparable to the others you list. Many people like it anyway.

Last edited:
SawTroll- Looks like it's you and me on here again, in the wee hours of the morning. Though, I guess out by you it's what, mid morning? And do you mean the 044/440 is 20 years old, or just it's technology? I didn't think it was that old. I thought it came out in '93. Of course I was off on my 056 dates in my 045/056 post too. :confused: :rolleyes:

Jeff

044/ms440

fishhuntcutwood said:
SawTroll- Looks like it's you and me on here again, in the wee hours of the morning. Though, I guess out by you it's what, mid morning? And do you mean the 044/440 is 20 years old, or just it's technology? I didn't think it was that old. I thought it came out in '93. Of course I was off on my 056 dates in my 045/056 post too. :confused: :rolleyes:

Jeff
http://www.motorsaegen-portal.de/ Select "Motorsagen" and then "Stihl........."

According to this German web-site, the 044 was introduced in 1988. Someone on this forum stated that it was even older (1984) a while ago.
Here it is http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19354&page=2&pp=15&highlight=065

Jeff, it is about lunch-time over here (GMT+1).

Last edited:
Hey Wood Cutter

I've had the Husky, Echo & Dolmar but now I'm a Stihl man all the way. I have a ms440, it's great, weight and power is really good.

I like the lower torque, when revs drop it keeps pulling. The plastic is tougher (nylon style not the harder brittle type), it has decompression start, you don't need a spanner to fuel up.

It has a genuine side adjuster that works on the main chasis of the saw so you don't have to frig around with the cover when putting bar back on ... you can adjust the bar close to the mark then put the cover on (husky has it in the side cover). It's easy to put a new chain on as brake drum is reversed and only a sprocket sticking out. The bar is 063 guage and interchanges with my 046 and 066. It runs real smooth in all postions.

If it does break down I get parts real quick, some of the others have taken up to 6 weeks!

fishhuntcutwood, well currently I'm using a 17lb. saw and I can handle that, so the weigh isn't a big problem, I will be just bucking wood for awhile, but in about 5 years I would like to cut all the trees to build my house. Hence the extra horses. Thank-You.
Wood Cutter

Wood Cutter said:
SawTroll, are you saying that ALL husqvarna saws are being discontinued in the U.S.A., or just the 372XP? Thanks.
Wood Cutter

Just the 372xp, 365 and 55Rancher. They are already replaced by the 575xp, 570 and 455Rancher at Husky's US web-site. All of these are a lot heavier than the saws they replaced. :angry:

If you want a 372xp, you better hurry up!
Good prices at the moment too, I understand. :)

Hey Woodcutter welcome, I hope you enjoy the site as much as I have.Not only have I learned how to type better,but now I drive everybody nuts with this new addiction to saws and the related stuff.If you can afford it ,the Dolmar is the balls.But like I always say dealer support and location make all the difference.Husky, Stihl will do the job superbly without a doubt,We have both at work ,and they have been great.My 2 Echos are pretty good also,but it matters where the parts and service are.

If you look around, you can find 372 powerheads for around
$500. Can't imagine that you would be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back