Ms 361 Wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I got the saw Tueday and went out and cut 4 cords with it today man that saw is quick. I was not expecting it to be that good right out of the box but man no saftey chain in some oak and it would throw the chips. It truely put that farm boss to shame. The only thing that annoyed me was the muffler that thing is way to closed up. I figure I will wait a month or so till I know it is not going to have any problems then get it opened up. I hate to void the warretee but I hate to sufficate my saw.

Good to here Dan! I'm thinking of getting that same saw myself! As for the muffler, you could always mod it, and if you ever need warranty work (probably won't) get a new one on there before bringing it in.

Ted

I just did the same thing only going from a 55 Rancher the the 361.
I put 10 hrs on it in just two days so I could hurry up and open that muffler up. Man it sure has great throttle response and really likes to pull that 20in bar through the hardwoods. :D

Was just looking at one today. It is a really nice saw. Which size bar do you run on yours? I asked the dealer if they sell a ported cover like the one they sell for the 044. He said he did not think they do which is a shame as it would make it pretty easy to mod.

Dan

Since were neighbors, would you mind sharing where you bought it from?
maybe ballpark yr cost?
tks
Tom

Here you go Tom.

Happy birthday Danny

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to my local dealer to buy the ms 361 all they had was the ms 290. So I went to the other dealer man they have some good service I was like my other dealer said they would give me a free chain with the saw (they didn't but who can tell). He was like sure we will give you an extra chain, a gallon of bar oil, a six pack of mix and the gloves. After all was said and done I had all of that the tool kit, a calander, a brochure, and the manual. After taxes it was $627.00. Can't wait to really test it out.

Excellant work Ted. Nothing wrong with them sweetening the deal. That'll bring you back. Win/win for all.

Good luck with it.

stump doctor said:
Was just looking at one today. It is a really nice saw. Which size bar do you run on yours? I asked the dealer if they sell a ported cover like the one they sell for the 044. He said he did not think they do which is a shame as it would make it pretty easy to mod.

The 361 muffler is a one part system - no cover... Someone needs to make a 361 mod kit with firescreen... Enough guys on AS to make it worthwhile.

DanManofStihl said:
Thats probably what Im going to do I am going to send it to walkers they did a great job on my 066.

I've got a modded 361 muffler I'll sell ya. Dean did it. It's a good enough job, and runs great, but I want to do my own now-just for the sake of doing my own. It's got a screen in it. Do a search on here for 361 muffler mod, and you'll find a thread with a picture of it in it. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll post a new pic on here for ya...if you're interested. That way, you could keep your stock muffler AND have a modded muffler.

PM me if you're interested. I'll sell it to ya for the price of a Walker's job, plus shipping. If not, no worries.

Throw in that National Park calendar you got with your saw, and I'll knock off $2! :laugh:

Jeff

DanManofStihl said:
Well I got the saw Tueday and went out and cut 4 cords with it today man that saw is quick. I was not expecting it to be that good right out of the box but man no saftey chain in some oak and it would throw the chips. It truely put that farm boss to shame. The only thing that annoyed me was the muffler that thing is way to closed up. I figure I will wait a month or so till I know it is not going to have any problems then get it opened up. I hate to void the warretee but I hate to sufficate my saw.

Oh man, I'm getting antsy now. I ordered a new 361 a couple days ago, and it arrived today at the dealer. I couldn't get in to get it today, so I'm going to sneak out of work for a bit tomorrow and pick her up. I've had a few trees down I've been wanting to cut up since Thanksgiving, but I've been waiting so I could break this new girl in.

Have fun,

Brandon

Hey gumneck I will do you one better if you want to come out to my house or me to come out to yours you can cut some wood with it. fishhuntcutwood I sent you a pm I would love to buy your modded muffler that would work out great.

stump doctor said:
.... Which size bar do you run on yours? .....
At the moment I use an 18" Rollomatic E combined with 3/8"x7 sprocket, and a 15" one combined with 3/8"x8.
Chain is mostly Stihl 36RSC, but I keep 36RM chain as backup for dirty wood.

I know other people that use up to 24" Rollomatic ES with skip chain, with good results in soft wood. Balance can not be good though, with that quite heavy setup on the light powerhead.......

I prefer the cheaper laminated bars mainly because they are lighter than ES.
Balance is just about perfect with the 18" setup.:D

I got mine with the 20 inch 3/8s pitch with the 7 tooth sprocket. That thing cut through the wood like butter. The only thing bad was I hit a piece of rebar in log that totally messed my chain up. I sharpened it then I hit a piece of cable that was on the underside of the log where I couldn't see because of the way it was sitting on top of the pile. I probably need to break down and take it in and get it professonaly sharpened. I hate to do that because it is such a waste of money.

FNG here, please forgive my busting in...

Just a thought regarding the desire for a stock muffler in case warranty work is needed - what worthwhile shop would NOT recognize a new muffler on a used/broken saw? Would it not be better to "season" one (new or waranty-saver) and have it on the shelf - just in case your warranty-work involves a non-runing saw? I mean seriously, if you're going to go so far as to install a stock muffler to protect yourself, why not use one that looks used?

I'm just sayin'...

Back