Need a good Tach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump doctor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good resource for a nice small engine tach that does not cost a fortune? I don't want the laser type but would like a small digital one as I would like to tune my own saws.

Checked eBay but there does not seem to be much of anything worth bidding on at the moment.

Got mine from my local Stihl shop for $120. Madsen's has the same one for $109.
I see your from S. Oregon, if your close to Medford, I'll bet Crater Chainsaw has them.

I located the following, a Tech-Tach TT-20K, for gas engines.

dti-tt20k-1.jpg

Direct from the manufacturer for $85.00 USD, some people try to sell them on eBay for $110.00 plus.

See URL;

http://www.tinytach.com/design/handheld.php

Regards

Joseph

Thanks for all the great links. One thing to watch out for if anyone is going to buy one I would look for something that goes up to 20K. Some of the Tachs on eBay only will go up to 4k. Many chainsaws will tach out around 12-14K or even higher.

for 20-25.00 more i would rather have the stihl tach way more features for different applications and a name brand with a good reputation. that is just the way i look at it, if it was 1/2 the price maybe it would be worth it

If you happen to have a fluke, Mac or snap-on digital multimeter you can get a lead for it that clamps over the plug wire and reads rpm. I've used this type before and they work quite well. If you already own the multimeter the price is quite reasonable. If not, buying a multimeter just for that function would be cost prohibitive.

Joseph said:
I located the following, a Tech-Tach TT-20K, for gas engines.

dti-tt20k-1.jpg

Direct from the manufacturer for $85.00 USD, some people try to sell them on eBay for $110.00 plus.

See URL;

http://www.tinytach.com/design/handheld.php

Regards

Joseph

Glad you found it. Have you ordered one yet? On ebay I bid and lost on 3 or 4 that went for $35-40 used before I finally got mine for $25. It's in great shape and works fine. Are others trying to get $110.00? New I hope? The $85.00 price from the manufacturer is still very reasonable for this unit.

Aaron

I do own a Fluke 87 I think the part you are looking for is called an inductive pickup probe. I priced them out and they want around $50 for one. They only work with their model 78 automotive meter. (PN RPM80)

I'm not exactly sure how you would use a inductive probe with a standard DVM but I'm thinking you would need to set the DVM to hertz and it would show a measurement of cycles per second. You would then have to divide the reading you get by 60to give you the actual rpm (revolutions per minute) reading.

Found this little tach for $22. online here are the specs.

Code:
PT15 Tachometer

Sparks once per rev
Large 7 segment LCD display
Low cost and small size
No power required
Solid state electronics
Quartz crystal
Wide operating temperature range
High reliability
Standard is resettable, non reset version is available from factory
Indicates operation in RPMs and hours
Self programmable or factory set 1, 2, 4, cycle engine, or hour meter only
Easy to install.
Made in the U.S.A.

pt15.jpg

http://www.enmco.com/

Last edited:
stump doctor said:
I do own a Fluke 87 I think the part you are looking for is called an inductive pickup probe. I priced them out and they want around $50 for one. They only work with their model 78 automotive meter. (PN RPM80)

I'm not exactly sure how you would use a inductive probe with a standard DVM but I'm thinking you would need to set the DVM to hertz and it would show a measurement of cycles per second. You would then have to divide the reading you get by 60to give you the actual rpm (revolutions per minute) reading.

Found this little tach for $22. online here are the specs.

Code:
PT15 Tachometer

Sparks once per rev
Large 7 segment LCD display
Low cost and small size
No power required
Solid state electronics
Quartz crystal
Wide operating temperature range
High reliability
Standard is resettable, non reset version is available from factory
Indicates operation in RPMs and hours
Self programmable or factory set 1, 2, 4, cycle engine, or hour meter only
Easy to install.
Made in the U.S.A.

pt15.jpg

http://www.enmco.com/

Has anyone used this PT15 Tach on chainsaws? The price is definately good and it seems to support high RPM engines.

I looked at the website and the PT14212 is for what's referred to as a single cycle engine with a spark of twice per revolution. Now I understand a 2 cycle with a spark of once per rev and a 4 cycle with a spark at each 2 revs, but what engine runs with a spark twice per revs? I must be missing something obvious here?

Dan

lesorubcheek said:
I looked at the website and the PT14212 is for what's referred to as a single cycle engine with a spark of twice per revolution. Now I understand a 2 cycle with a spark of once per rev and a 4 cycle with a spark at each 2 revs, but what engine runs with a spark twice per revs? I must be missing something obvious here?

Dan

I was wondering the same thing myself. I emailed the Company and they recommended their $45 model which is programmable for all three modes. I like the looks of the other model better. They are offering free shipping this month. :blob2: May just have to get one and try it out.

The best thing to do would be to purchase our PT141 model which has three programmable firing patters. You can change them to what suits your needs.

imageresizer

a1002.jpg

Code:
Capacity  9999.9 Hours Meter
9999.9 Maintenance/Hours
01 = 13,000 RPM
02 = 24,000 RPM
03 = 48,000 RPM

Sampling Time  1 -Second Approximate

Character Height  Large 8 mm digits.

Operating Battery Life  Internal lithium battery 35,000 hours continuous running.

Operating Temperature  Standard: -10 to +60 °C
Special: -40 to +85 °C

Vibration resistance @ 1 to 8 Gs.  Withstands 10 to 75 Hz

Rpm Resolution  10 Rpm

Configuration  Two hole base mount.

Wire Length  5.5 ft.

RES said:
What features does the Stihl tach have that the DTI-20k doesn't have?

The Stihl is a lot better built - and much thinner. I use both - the DTI at home and the Stihl EDT-5 at work.

The DTI is not all that "waterproof" I left it outside one night and the dew messed it up. Had to open it up, dip in alcohol and then blow it all off. Not worse for wear, but not all that robust. Works well though.

Last edited:
lesorubcheek said:

Dan

It's the way the flywheel based magneto drives spark for two cylinders. Both spark whether twice whether they need it or not. Saves needing a distributor. Many, if not most of the two cylinder engines work this way - My 15HP Kawaski and 16HP Vangard both produce two sparks per revolution - and I initially bought the wrong tach!

Back