New toy: basket case 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just picked it up tonight. Saw looks like it doesn't have a lot of wear, plastic looks really good. Not a lot of hours from what I can tell.
Cylinder will probably clean up, have my doubts about the piston. scored on both sides, intake minor, exhaust worse. Might try it anyway, this is a playtoy, not planning on spending a lot of money. Got a coil on the way, only part that was robbed from the saw.

Couple of questions:
Obviously the saw was lean, or run on straight gas. What other damage should I expect?

I've got a good small mount stihl 30" 3/8" .050 Powermatch bar with a new full chisel chain hanging on the wall, anyone ever mill out the slot to fit the big stihl? Oil holes line up?

Remember, this is a playtoy..........
Just want to have the only one in the area. The 034 and 064 along with my 153 Dolmar are really more than I NEED.........................:)

The stihl bar will not fit the 084 you have to have a large mount bar to fit that size of saw. You can probably find a nice used one pretty cheap they are pretty pricey new. Good luck and have fun

DanManofStihl said:
The stihl bar will not fit the 084 you have to have a large mount bar to fit that size of saw. You can probably find a nice used one pretty cheap they are pretty pricey new. Good luck and have fun
Thanks, but if you read my post you'll see I asked if anyone ever milled a small mount bar to fit the big stihl. Got a buddy with an old Bridgeport in his shop.

I've got a large mount on my Dolmar, but I would like to run the bar I have with the 3/8 full house chisel. 8 tooth? 9 or 10 tooth maybe?

Last edited:
You might find it easier to "mill" (turn) the shoulder on the bar studs down. You will also need to mill the tail of the bar if memory serves me correctly. I put the 3003 mount on an 084, but it was a long time ago.

PWB said:
Cylinder will probably clean up, have my doubts about the piston. scored on both sides, intake minor, exhaust worse.
Couple of questions:
Obviously the saw was lean, or run on straight gas. What other damage should I expect?

If your piston is scored on the inlet side, it was probaly run with a bad filter, so check the crank bearings, and while you're at it, the crankcase on the clutch side for loose bearing (crankcase gets beat out and the bearing won't hold pressure on the outside...

Last edited:
kf_tree said:
pwb

it can be done, this is a bar from an 066 that was cut to fit my 880. ed did it for me.

How big a gear can you "comfortably" run with that bar?

Yes, it has been done before.

Fred

Just a warning

Be careful. I picked up an 084 cheap once. New piston, rings, inner and outer crank bearings, oiler, carb rebuild.....etc. Could have bought a new 044 for what I have in that beast. On the other hand, it is a monster and a whole lot of fun to run. It has a 36" bar on it and I get called anytime one of my friends has a large tree to cut up.

muley said:
Be careful. I picked up an 084 cheap once. New piston, rings, inner and outer crank bearings, oiler, carb rebuild.....etc. Could have bought a new 044 for what I have in that beast. On the other hand, it is a monster and a whole lot of fun to run. It has a 36" bar on it and I get called anytime one of my friends has a large tree to cut up.

That is quite expensive for a rebuild, but still.....you have an 084. I picked up a nice one for a decent price and it's a dandy to run. Whenever I ever I get back into milling, that'll be the saw.

Chris B.

muley said:

Ha, I got you beat. Mine (088) needed all that PLUS a new crank, but I only paid (too low to mention :D ) for it (2003 model). Might even get it finished and go cut wood this weekend.

Lakeside53 said:
Ha, I got you beat. Mine (088) needed all that PLUS a new crank, but I only paid (too low to mention :D ) for it (2003 model). Might even get it finished and go cut wood this weekend.

Share the wealth sawwrencher.;) ;)

I bet it was from someone who had a large wallet and small penice, who didn't really need it. Am I close?

Fred

Water's fine.

Mr. said:
Share the wealth sawwrencher.;) ;)

I bet it was from someone who had a large wallet and small penice, who didn't really need it. Am I close?

Fred

Water's fine.

Unfortunately no... tree service let the "kid" use the "big saw" to take out a 5 foot diameter Cedar stump, which he did at wot (not loaded down in the wood) for way too long (actually, not along at all!)..

Here's where I'm at. The basket case saw is a newer saw (see thru tank).
I got a parts saw (older opaque tanks). Parts saw has been sitting, was in a building that caught fire, melted a bunch of plastic eg. burnt the starter handle off, but not the rope. burnt teh top cover off, air filter cover, fried the handle a little, but the throttle is still fuctional. Inside the starter ass'y looks new. Coil doesn't look hurt, may need a coil wire. Got the top end together, seems to have lots of compression.

I have two different mufflers.
They look the same on the outside. The newer one has a wide open case with a spark arrestor screen on the top inside, with 1 rather smallish hole out the right side.
the older muffler has a basket, and two tubes that run across the top (inside) and exit together in the same place as the other one. Has this thing been modified?

Wondering about carbs too. The PO of the older saw said he put an older carb on, no rev limiter???? Does he know what he's talking about? I'll get some numbers off the carbs today to see if there's one I should be using over the other.

PWB said:
Wondering about carbs too. The PO of the older saw said he put an older carb on, no rev limiter???? Does he know what he's talking about? I'll get some numbers off the carbs today to see if there's one I should be using over the other.

Any "rev limiter" would be in the coil, not the carb... Is he talking a about "limiter caps" on the carb - these just restrict the range of adjustment..

Put it together, it runs! Both carbs are the same, big tillotson's. Saw is old enough I don't think there would have been limiter caps on the adjustments. Just when DID they quit selling the 084?
Saw doesn't seem to rev nearly as high as my 064. Haven't put it in the wood yet, just mostly let it idle, with a few runs up to set the carb.

coincidence? I just got my 088 together today, started third pull, big cloud of smoke to clear the assembly oil, a minor adjust to the LA... and it and it too is going to idle for a while before any wood! Sounds nice... feels heavy :)

yes, it won't rev anywhere like your 064 at std carb settings... BTW, the WOT has been revised DOWN to 11,500... The book originally said 12k, but...

Andy that is cool! I often think about buying a basket case project saw. I bet they would get heavy cutting day in and day out though. What size bar are you running on it?

Back