New toy: basket case 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the latest decision on rpm for this saw? Ordered a tach I'm picking up at the local stihl dealer today. Later saw (see through tank) Coil from earlier solid tank saw, coil has an external trigger. I think I've got hte saw on the rich side, more power available but REALLY don't want to fry it.

Muffler is the two tube version with the arrestor cut off, no basket. Came that way on the older saw.

Do I dare run it at 12,000?

Just while I'm at it, how about some numbers for my 064 and 034 super?

I looked in my 084 book and they say 11,000 rpm.

I looked in my 084 book and they say 11,000 rpm.

Read this thread (as confusing as it is, and the linked thread).. it depends on which coil you have fitted (limiting or not, and the actual "non-limiting" coil) and therefore the method of approximating the mixture.

Read this thread (as confusing as it is, and the linked thread).. it depends on which coil you have fitted (limiting or not, and the actual "non-limiting" coil) and therefore the method of approximating the mixture.

I know one thing for sure, this is NOT a limited coil.Tried out the tach this moring, saw was reving 14,000+. Still had a decent 4 stroke sound to it, but I cut it back to about 12,000.

Ditto for the 064, was running way over 14k. Sounded fine, but has more grunt with the extra fuel.

034 was almost 15k, more grunt on this one now too!

All the mufflers were opened up (I did the 34super, the others were done before I got them) but even so!

Glad I bought the tach!

I see in the tach thread that that you use the long lead with the clamp (EDT8). Think I'll try that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back