<$350 Climbing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm probably going to be in the market for a new top-handle saw before too long - my permanent-loan Echo may be going back to its true owner in another month or so. So, I'm going to need something to replace it. I know that I could just get a 200T and be done with it, but that'd be too simple.

I'm leaning towards picking up one of the new Echos because the old-style Echos have been so good to me over the years, but I'm open to other suggestions and willing to try something new and different - Solo, Dolmar, Efco, etc.

Any thoughts on decent under-$350 top handles?

Nahh, the 357 is way too heavy. Get a 192T and mod the muffler....or look for a 3400 used on ebay...it will easily outcut the 192T...but there aren't many of them around anymore....I'm sure they are better than the new Echo's...lighter, less bulky.....

My firm opinion is that the current 338's work well...though the only one that I have, even after woods modding, is not as as fast as my muffler modded 335's.....which are discontinued.

Hey Comp, go handle the new Echos, they really do feel like plastic toys!!! I couldn't even get the chainbrake to work on the two I handled! Then pick up the 192T, look it over, try the chainbrake, you WILL buy it over the Echos, no question!! Ecspecially for the money, if memory serves, one is like $20 less and the other is $20 more! Just go handle them, tell me what you think then, thats all I ask!
I would be hard pressed to give up my 192 now!!! (can't justify the 200 yet:( )
Andy

Dolmar PS 3410 new for 2006

Has anybody ran the new for 2006 top handle dolmar 3410 yet? Comes in at 7 lbs. Cost? http://www.dolmarusa.com/site/managed/html/produkt/4090/PS-3410_TH
I still love running my poulan 2000 33cc that i bought new in 94 for $99. Super light TH and blows away powerwise the ms170 and ms180's I tried out.
But I know some is not open minded to the older poulan stuff and its not your glass of beer. :cheers:
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32093&d=1142291670

Last edited:
rbtree said:
Nahh, the 357 is way too heavy. Get a 192T and mod the muffler....or look for a 3400 used on ebay...it will easily outcut the 192T...but there aren't many of them around anymore....I'm sure they are better than the new Echo's...lighter, less bulky.....

My firm opinion is that the current 338's work well...though the only one that I have, even after woods modding, is not as as fast as my muffler modded 335's.....which are discontinued.

Husky discontinued the 335, Now its a Jonsered 2135 top handle.
Don't know what the price is though, You might wan't to check into it.

sawn_penn said:
The Makita 330TH looks like a Tanaka topping saw they sell down here.

...but someone else had already said that...

Anyway, I ordered one. :)

It might take a while to get all the way down here, but it'll be less than half the price of buying the Tanaka in my town.

Not that I would have bought the Tanaka at full price.

The Tanaka is $au500, and the Shindaiwa, and Stihl 192T were both about $au600 here. The Shindaiwa could have been had for $au500 with some arm twisting. The Tanaka was just too little saw for way too many $$$ at full price. I figure the Tanaka will be about $au275 by the time postage is paid.

Last edited:
Well, I gave in and ordered one, too. $174 to my door, so I figure I might as well.

The Echo CS3000 has always been more than adequate for the stuff I use a top handle saw for, so this one should do fine. So even with a couple spare loops I'll still be under $200. Sounds good 'nuff for me.

EDIT: When I get it I will time some cuts against the Echo. If anyone else who lives near me has other top handles they want to test out, might be worth having a top handle GTG or something like that. HA!

Last edited:
Wow, the store ought to send me a share % on that finding this morning. Hope it works out for you guys.

Back