Milled a little maple today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Where I live there is very little maple but today I helped SWMBO's father remove a tree and we milled some nice little planks out of bottom trunk with the MS660. Just nice to get the MS660 into some hardwood for a change.

I did this with the regular chain as I had to do a few stumps and should have put the ripping chain on but for the fact that I forgot to bring it.. OPPS

attachment.php

Maple

Looks good! For a few relativly narrow pieces, I have had good luck just using a regular chain, as long as it is pretty sharp. I find the finish a little rougher, but if you have a little HP, it works fine.

Looks like you've got some really nice figure in those boards, be nice to see the finished product.

Gotta love the sound of that 660...

hautions11 said:
Looks good! For a few relativly narrow pieces, I have had good luck just using a regular chain, as long as it is pretty sharp. I find the finish a little rougher, but if you have a little HP, it works fine.
I too have used regular chain for milling with my csm from time to time with very good results. I have also used milling chain to crosscut when I didn't want to change chain in my 395 just to buck up one tree. It cut through a 36" white oak log fine.

Nice maple there Paradise. Got any plans for it? I agree with Flht01, looks like you might have some nice figure in there once you clean them up on a jointer/planer.

Nope

No plans at all for the maple. I still have a bunch of maple that I have had for about 5 years. Some day!

I have not used a lot of maple for projects. I did a few projects a while back and ended up with some maple shorts so I designed these little occasional tables to use up the short pieces.

attachment.php

woodshop said:
Do you do those piecemeal or do you make them to sell them?

No I just made them to use up the maple shorts without an end use in mind and my daughter ended up with them.

I like the challenge of designing and building furniture but strictly as a hobby as I build stuff and design it the way I want it as opposed to having to please someone else.

Latest posts

Back