Switching MS260 over to 3/8" from .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My MS260 is currently using .325 .050 setup. However, I have a 20" 3/8 .050 oregon bar that I bought for my MS660 and would like to be able to use this on the 260. I have 72 link chains for it.

So the question is what is the correct rim sprocket to get for the MS260.

Looking in the IPL there are multiple rims available and what I need to know is what is the correct one to use my 20" inch 3/8" .050 72 link bar and chain with?

I am guessing that it is the 7 tooth 3/8" one but anyone know for sure?

Me too

I went to my local stihl shop today to try to swap them for the same reason. You want to put a heavier chain on you 260. I want my 260 chain to be the same chain size as my 036 they couldn't find a rim that would fit. Another ? What are the diffences between the 026 and the 260, The 026 ran a 3/8 chain but the sprocket is a differnt P # when using a .325 chan on the 2 saws what part # rim sprocket do I need to do this

mrk585 said:
I went to my local stihl shop today to try to swap them for the same reason. You want to put a heavier chain on you 260. I want my 260 chain to be the same chain size as my 036 they couldn't find a rim that would fit. Another ? What are the diffences between the 026 and the 260, The 026 ran a 3/8 chain but the sprocket is a differnt P # when using a .325 chan on the 2 saws what part # rim sprocket do I need to do this

I think this is what you wan't.

part number 0000 642 1231 1 Rim sprocket 3/8" 7T

Small ID

My shop had one that had a "large ID" I would say around a 3/4 to 7/ 8 with more splines that what my saw has my say has about a 1/2 ID with about 7- 9 splines.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

mrk585 said:
My shop had one that had a "large ID" I would say around a 3/4 to 7/ 8 with more splines that what my saw has my say has about a 1/2 ID with about 7- 9 splines.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Yes their is a few different ID sizes for different size saws
the one on the left fits the 026,260 the right fits the 361.

See pic

In my experience the 026 lacks the power to pull 3/8" chain. It will be too easy to bog the motor with 3/8". If the saw is ported then there is enough power.

I have tried the .325 but like the .375 better on my 026 W/16" BC
And if you already have the B/C, a new Stihl rim sprocket here is
less than $5 with tax so it won't cost you much to find out if you
like it or not. and if you don't like it you can send me the rim :)

sedanman said:
Unless your 026/260 is ported, you WILL switch back to .325, I'd bet money on this.

Actually I wasn't planning on switching over completely as I have too many .325 bars and chains and for the majority of what I do the 16" suits me just fine.

However there are times that it would be nice to use the 20" on the MS260 and seeing as I already have it and it is just the cost of a sprocket to use it, it makes sense to me to have it in my kit with me so I can use when needed! .:clap:

sedanman said:
Unless your 026/260 is ported, you WILL switch back to .325, I'd bet money on this.
I wouldn't bet money on it, there are too many idiots here, but I agree with you that a stock 026 can't pull a 3/8s chain very well, not to mention the marshmellow like suspenion can't take one more gram of weight.

sure wouldn't mind switching to 3/8 .50 for 026. be nice to run same chain for everything except for top handled saw.

been needing to buy a roll of chain and make up my own.
all I do is limb with 026, so if I keep it sharp. should be ok...

046 said:
sure wouldn't mind switching to 3/8 .50 for 026. be nice to run same chain for everything except for top handled saw.

been needing to buy a roll of chain and make up my own.
all I do is limb with 026, so if I keep it sharp. should be ok...
From your signature, it looks like you'd want to run .325 on every thing except the 2 big stihls.

sedanman said:

I hear what you are saying, but on my 026 I switch to .325 for a while, then happily switched back when I got my ProSharp and started square grinding. I find now I really prefer the 3/8. Moves a lot of chips fast. Most of the wood I cut is green and on the soft side.

Another reason for me is I can sharpen the 3/8 (on PS) much quicker than the .325 (by hand). Also I already have the 3/8 on hand by the reels and for the .325 I buy it by the loops. These both probably entering into my decision.

Last edited:
Mike Maas said:
I wouldn't bet money on it, there are too many idiots here, but I agree with you that a stock 026 can't pull a 3/8s chain very well, not to mention the marshmellow like suspenion can't take one more gram of weight.

Did the 026 suspension change? Mine is about 14 years old and I haven't considered it marshmellow soft.

Not jabbing, just curious if Stihl's changed something on those. I don't use mine all that much, but for me small stuff I find it a pretty decent little saw and bombproof. It does like a really sharp chain to be happy.

Haven't run a newer one.

sedanman said:
You are likely cutting evergreens? Bring that saw east and tackle a maple, oak or locust.

I do cut a fair bit of fresh oak, locust, etc. (city trees) but mostly in the 18 to 28 inch range. And I agree that if I had to run the 026 very much in tough wood I might think different, but the majority of the time I use that saw is in smallish stuff. I spend the majority of my time (tough wood or not) using larger saws so maybe I am not the best case here.

My point and I stick to it is that a really sharp square chain makes a 3/8 work okay on my 026. If/when I had to pick between a round 3/8 and and .325 of the 026 I would and did pick the .325.

Are you running square ground on your saws? What grinder are you using and how do you like it?

Last edited:
Round ground chisel around here. Square ground chain is not very popular here. My race chains are square filed but I didn't make them. I use a Maxx grinder and am pleased with the performance.

Back