Borazon Wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hard Knocks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing a set of borazon wheels for my chain grinder. I figured I would ask first
1. Do they do a good job - surface finish, true edge, burr free cutter?
2. Do they allow for faster grind without heating up cutters?
3. Do they last?
4. Are they worth the money?

I have tried them but our shop prefers the Oregon wheels. The borazon wheels are good but we felt the sharpening job was not as good. They seem to leave a course job until they fill up and lose their cutting ability and then they take longer to sharpen and you then have to be careful about burning the chain. We tried them because of the price and I liked the idea of a cleaner shop area but in the end it's what does the best job for our customers as that's really all that matters. I'm sure some are happy with them but my employees are not.

I run them and feel that they sharpen better, faster, cooler and easier. I only use them to sharpen the chains for my company. I have run them for 2 years and feel they are far superior to salmon wheels. I run them one direction for a while and then turn them around. I haven't had them fill up or fail in any way but I don't sharpen chains for a living.

We've switched exclusively to them. As for loading up - there is a white ceramic stone you touch on them every chain or so to clean them up.

Pulling a burr is an operator issue, not the wheel..;)

How do you clean up the pink wheels? I mean, the thing turns a radius on the outer edge all by itself.

Who cares what profile the gullet is? The flat side shapes the corner. Right?

I have a diamond gizmo that I flatten my big grinder with I can make my pink wheel any shape I want. But I don't understand.

Should I take the metal crap off of the side of the stone?

I get the ceramic from the local Ace hardware, and the radius stone for the pink wheels is just a coarse stone I have for years that came from Madsens, I think.

I think the dresser for the pink wheel is silicon carbide. Craftsman sells them as well as oregon, Baileys and elsewhere.

grinding

Who cares what profile the gullet is? The flat side shapes the corner. Right?

I have a diamond gizmo that I flatten my big grinder with I can make my pink wheel any shape I want. But I don't understand.

Should I take the metal crap off of the side of the stone?

The side of the stone and the curved part of the stone should be kept clean.Do this every couple of chains.It will give you a smoother cut,cooler cut,and faster cut.It only takes a couple of seconds.As for the shape of the gullet,the smoother it is the better the chips leave the area.All this will help not to burn the chain.
Ed

Back