New Jugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBailey

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Grande Dog and I are heading east this weekend to visit the factory making our big bore kits. These kits have come a long way from the first batches we were selling a couple of years ago, and now the quality is beginning to rival OEM. We are looking to expand the line this summer. We are looking to offer the following new sizes if the cylinder walls are thick enough:

Dolmar 7900 Big Bore
Husky 395 Big Bore

We currently offer the following:

Stihl 044
Stihl 046
Husky 372
Stihl 066 is in the process.

In this forums expert opinion, are we missing any obvious models? Please remember we must order 1,000 pieces for each new model, so there is a substantial investment in time and money.

Thanks,
Nik Bailey

Great idea. If you need some hands-on testing and reporting, I'll gladly test out a BB7900 once your prototypes come in!

I know that the market isn't there for it, but a BB075/076 would be fun, especially if it could be pushed out to 125cc+

I was about to say that you are missing the 650 Stihl...But you covered it with the 660 kit..My 650 has a decent amount of time on it now,and I like it,so I'll probably upgrade it soon.

Man I thought this thread was gonna be something else entirely :D I was looking for the pictures. :mad: :laugh:

Seriously Nik I think you could move quite a few for the 036/MS360 with the number of those saws out there in the market now getting older and needing rebuilds. Make it with and without the decompression valve for the "pro" and "non-pro" models (a simple drill and tap job could be done in your own shop), if you could get 044 power in the 036 package why wouldn't you. I know I've looked for them before on your site when I needed a new P&C for my 036 if you had them available then I would have bought one, he!! I would still be interested even now.

Obviously the MS361 would be a hot seller if the quality was there.

I think even a big bore 026/MS260 would move pretty well, I know I'd get one when the time comes for a rebuild. Just my .02 and I think that’s what you were asking for.

I think an obvious choice would be a 5100S.There are an awful lot of them out there.

I would like to see an 028 super jug and piston kit. big bore not needed. lots of these needing top ends and you just can't find them. actually a super sized kit would be a big bore of sorts for all the wood bosses out there
-Ralph

I would like to see an 028 super jug and piston kit. big bore not needed. lots of these needing top ends and you just can't find them. actually a super sized kit would be a big bore of sorts for all the wood bosses out there
-Ralph
Tecomec makes an 028 super p&c kit.

I would vote for the 036/360 also there seems to be alot around getting older, including mine.

036 pro
028 super again
cs-3400 x 2
cs-3000
162se
mac 15

Another +1 on the 026/260 kit.....

Just by the length of time the unit has been produced I would think that it would have the numbers.

026 Piston & Cylinder Kit

We are already producing a stock 026 piston & cylinder kit (# CK 026) so it is much less expensive to make it a big bore. The problem is, do people really need a big bore kit in such a small displacement saw? I believe the 036 has merit because it has a professional following, and perhaps a 361 with some time. Anyhow, I am just listening right now. Thank you all for the input so far.
Nik

We are already producing a stock 026 piston & cylinder kit (# CK 026) so it is much less expensive to make it a big bore. The problem is, do people really need a big bore kit in such a small displacement saw? I believe the 036 has merit because it has a professional following, and perhaps a 361 with some time.
Nik

I don't think I would ever buy a p & c kit until mine was worn or damaged. When I do buy, I would like to "SUPER SIZE". Why would I want to shop for another saw (036) and leave an 026 carcass?

HTML:
The problem is, do people really need a big bore kit in such a small displacement saw?

I think anytime you can add power without adding weight that you would have a winner. I like my 026 even though it is an older design it just feels right in my hands. I would use it even more if it had a little more UMPH.

We are already producing a stock 026 piston & cylinder kit (# CK 026) so it is much less expensive to make it a big bore. The problem is, do people really need a big bore kit in such a small displacement saw? I believe the 036 has merit because it has a professional following, and perhaps a 361 with some time. Anyhow, I am just listening right now. Thank you all for the input so far.
Nik

That's the difference Nik.
Need and Want.
Price of a big bore kit is considerabley less then a woods port job.
And may yield the same or better results.

Nik

From my point of view; the 026, 036 and the 361 make some of the most sense. More power but less weight. You will here power to weight ratio being discussed constantly on the forums. This is especially true when comparing brands and seems to be a hot button for saws. I know that with my business this is exactly what 80% of my customers want. Not just more power but mostly a lighter saw. If they can have the lighter saw and more power then that is just icing ont he cake.

Big bore kits also makes more economic sense for many people who could just overhaul their saw rather than spending 4 times as much on new bigger saw when they need more power. Many wood cutters start out with a smaller saw because of the expense and later realize they need more power and this would really fill the gap for a large portion of people.

The last cylinder kit I would concider is the 084/088. This is very popular with the racers but also with the guys running chainsaw mills. You would be very pleasently surprised by the #'s of these that you would move. You would probably notice a granburg going out with the kit at the same time.

Speaking strictly on volume you could probably sell a lot of slugs and jugs for the 029 ms290, ms310 039 ms390 series, just because, well you know, homeowners blowing them up.

Back