OFFICIAL Which saw should I buy answer thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
To all people who want this question answered by the chainsaw geeks/nuts here. You should first have all the questions below answered.....

What brand has the best dealer support in your area?

What will the saw be used for?

What size bar do you plan on running?

Is weight an issue?

Whats your budget?

Are you looking for a new or used saw?

Do you have any experience operating a saw?

How often do you use your saw? Weekend firewood cutter, once a month helping friends cut firewood, trimming the trees once a year, or are you feeding an OWB in the arctic and need to cut 20+ cords per year every year?

What type and size/diameter of wood will you be using this saw for?

I am sure other people will chime in on this thread as well. With the above questions answered we will all be able to better help you in making an informed decision on your next saw purchase.

Sticky?

Last edited:
Next question:

How often do you use your saw? Weekend firewood cutter, once a month helping friends cut firewood, trimming the trees once a year, or are you feeding an OWB in the arctic and need to cut 20+ cords per year every year?

Ian

Last edited:
Agreed!

And then when they answer all the questions..

We can tell them to get the Stihl 361!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Good thread Boston. Good responses as well. I remember one of my first posts was about a 441 vs. 440. I took a little heat on that one.

I am still green behind the ears, but have gotten a ton of knowledge from this site. I appreciated the ones who have taken the time to help with my posts and the ones who were more critical helped build some thicker skin!!;)

Coming in as a total newb, one tends to think their problem/querry/situation is unique, and it is. It just happens to be about 5000 other people on the site have asked similar questions.

Once again, good thread BB and I'm planning to get some + rep headed your way.

JONSERED 2171:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :rockn:

I don't know this guy well yet, but I like him a lot...

(But like oldsaw said...not THAT way...more the 'respect of the woodsman' kinda way...)

What is the lamest saw ever made by the lamest company... :) :) :)

Got to be a J'Red :jawdrop:
I mean, after all, they are made by a company that makes a saw called the Wild Thing :censored: :censored: :censored:

Latest posts

Back