Is it a Stihl, 075 or 076?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Done a little saw trading today. After the trading was done dealer
ask If I would give $10 for a big Stihl......sure I said....he ask don't
you want to Know what it is.......don't matter I will take it. He said it
was an 075........but after doing a search here, seems to be a
076.........Whats the most sure fire way to tell?

I played with it and got it fired up, It only has 125 lbs com.
Have'nt pulled starter cover off but fly wheel side crank bearing
is bad. Just for fun I cut two cookies, seasoned 24" White Oak.
With only 120 lbs. com and 20" bar I could not bog it down.

Missing switch, missing trigger safety

a>

Oil cap on side, broken AV mount

a>

Cracked clutch and muffler cover,

a>

Monster of a 20" .375 bar & chain, in very good shape though.

a>

Last edited:
stihl 075

It looks just like the 075 that I own. I would have to ad a vote for 075 like you were told. Throw a set of new rings in her and fix the other things you mentioned and you will have a powerhouse on your hands. nice find. Rick!!

i will second the 075, being that it has a low air filter cover, if you compare your saw to an 076, the 076 has a much taller air filter cover.

I'm going to say 076 because of the badging on the rewind my 075 has the circle in the middle of the rectangle.basically the same saw anyhow.Nice project!

It looks just like the 075 that I own. I would have to ad a vote for 075 like you were told. Throw a set of new rings in her and fix the other things you mentioned and you will have a powerhouse on your hands. nice find. Rick!!

So your oil cap is on side, not the top?

Both saws have indentical engines: Same bore and stroke, 58mm x 42mm.

The differences are subtle, and as continue to work on my 076, I uncover more details.

--076 has oil cap on the side of the case, 075 is on top
--076 has hand guard mount on the crankcase, the 075 has it as part of the wrap handle assembly
--076 has a taller intake block resulting in a taller looking air filter. (I'm not sure that this change is present on all 076s.)
--076 coil is different: the high tension lead leaves the coil upwards and then heads back to the spark plug. The 075 lead just goes straight back.
--075 will not have the pawl-style recoil that the 076 and modern saws have. It uses the older Fairbanks-Morse friction shoe.
--076 will probably not ever have points ignition.
--According to the repair manual oil pumps have changed, but I think it occurred during the 075 production run.
--No IPL I've seen shows the 075 with a chain brake

Now, most of these points are debatable, even irrelevant, as it is easy to mix and match parts from 050, 051, 075, 076, and the related chopsaws. So, to me, the main distinguishing characteristics are the first 3.

Chris B.

This is from another thread........so far every pic I have found of a 075,
as cbfarmall said has the oil cap on to of the case.

It gets murky.... Orginally the 075 had a top oil cap, and the 076 side... but now the 076 crankcase if offered for both, AND, as they interchange, unless the saw is a virgin who knows what's been done.

However.. in this case, I'm betting it's an 076...

It gets murky.... Orginally the 075 had a top oil cap, and the 076 side... but now the 076 crankcase if offered for both, AND, as they interchange, unless the saw is a virgin who knows what's been done.

However.. in this case, I'm betting it's an 076...

I looked in the parts book, gives diff numbers for crank bearings (075, 076)
or did just the part numbers change? Oil seal numbers are the same though.

Back