Pics of my Ebay purchase (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbolyard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The good:
I bought this Stihl 044 off Ebay for $144. I've been wanting one for a long time after running one and finally landed a decent deal on one. I went out on a limb as the seller (Utah State surplus sales) would not guarantee running condition of the saw and only provided one photo. Compression is good and the saw runs- I was pulling the rope tonight after cleaning it up and it popped and sputtered... I thought all the gas was out of it so I was pleasantly surprised. Has the large felling dawgs and HD filter as well. The chain is in good shape and has quite a bit of life left.

The bad:
Tank has been replaced with a 1/4 turn cap tank. This really pissed me off, because in the photo for the auction I won the saw had both thread-in caps. The "Stihl 044" tag on top and "Stihl" tag on the recoil housing are also missing (which they weren't in the auction photo). Clutch cover is the shorty style and has a crack in it, air filter cover has some damage on it, recoil housing is worn through on the bottom, handlebar has a hole in the bottom at the bend from wear, one bar nut is missing, and the nose on the bar is shot. However, for what I paid I think I still did okay and should have a good saw that will last me a long time. I'm hoping to replace the 24" with a 28" and do a PNW conversion on it (full wraps, long clutch cover, and skip chain). Without further ado, here she is:

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

It will be taking the place of this little gem as a firewood saw:
Pee-wee-1.jpg

So what do you guys think, did I do okay or not? I hope to one day do a repaint on it, and I'd like to find a gas tank/handle with the thread in cap for it someday as well.
How hard is it to replace the nose on the bar, and where would I look for one?

since you dont like the tank,,,,, make me a deal I cant refuse!!!! LOLOL!!!

Just kidding,,,,, you got a deal especially if it runs out good and restarts good after you get it good and warmed up,,,,

Ya did good if it's a runner. The looks of a saw is gonna get messed up if you use it a lot anyway. It just needs to get in some wood.

Yep!!!!

So what do you guys think, did I do okay or not? I hope to one day do a repaint on it, and I'd like to find a gas tank/handle with the thread in cap for it someday as well.
How hard is it to replace the nose on the bar, and where would I look for one?

Just go to the stihl dealer they are about 7 or 8 bucks,,, comes with new rivets,,, takes about 3-5 mins,,, if you have a good heavy vice use it or an anvil,,,, we change em out for folks just for the cost of the tip @ our shop!!!!

Last edited:
I won't be able to cut with it for a while (until I can swap bars or get a new nose for this bar) but I'm going to pick up some mix and bar oil tomorrow, along with a scrench and maybe a few other things. It's begging for a DP cover but I'll have to try to sneak that one by the wifey :D
I'm hoping this is a 12mm piston pin saw, the serial # is 126234366- can someone run that for me and tell me if it's a 10mm or 12mm?
PS- saw is most definitely NOT for sale :D

Last edited:
Just go to the stihl dealer they are about 7 or 8 bucks,,, comes with new rivets,,, takes about 3-5 mins,,, if you have a good heavy vice use it or an anvil,,,, we change em out for folks just for the cost of the tip @ our shop!!!!

Will a Stihl tip fit the Oregon bar?

I think you will like that 1/4 turn cap. My 460 and 036 have them and they have never give me any trouble. So much easier to get off and when your cuttin and hot and sweaty and in a hurry you don't have to find a tool to get the cap off.

I think you will like that 1/4 turn cap. My 460 and 036 have them and they have never give me any trouble. So much easier to get off and when your cuttin and hot and sweaty and in a hurry you don't have to find a tool to get the cap off.

I have no problems with the 1/4 turn cap, it just bugs me knowing it should have a thread in cap there instead.
Forgot to ask one thing- while cleaning up the saw tonight at one point I accidentally grabbed the can of Brake Cleaner instead of what I had been using- what kind of bad stuff could happen? (I did blow it off with my compressor) I may give the saw a quick soap and water washdown tomorrow then blow it off again with my compressor just to be safe.

I have no problems with the 1/4 turn cap, it just bugs me knowing it should have a thread in cap there instead.
Forgot to ask one thing- while cleaning up the saw tonight at one point I accidentally grabbed the can of Brake Cleaner instead of what I had been using- what kind of bad stuff could happen? (I did blow it off with my compressor) I may give the saw a quick soap and water washdown tomorrow then blow it off again with my compressor just to be safe.
That stuff can rust metal, And if ya don't believe me ask plantbiologist. If you get it off quick it should be ok.

Last edited:
I won't be able to cut with it for a while (until I can swap bars or get a new nose for this bar) but I'm going to pick up some mix and bar oil tomorrow, along with a scrench and maybe a few other things. It's begging for a DP cover but I'll have to try to sneak that one by the wifey :D
I'm hoping this is a 12mm piston pin saw, the serial # is 126234366- can someone run that for me and tell me if it's a 10mm or 12mm?
PS- saw is most definitely NOT for sale :D

You have a 10 mm pin, I think. Bigger ports. I think that is good. Enjoy your saw.
12mm started around 129---------, thanks Lakeside!

You have a 10 mm pin, I think. Bigger ports. I think that is good. Enjoy your saw.
12mm started around 129---------, thanks Lakeside!

Dang... well I'll just hope the top end never lets go for some reason. I'll give the saw a quick bath this morning to make sure all the brake clean is off... I don't want anything bad to happen to this saw.

The 10mm is fine, it will run just as long as the 12mm. Only bad thing is if it needs a top end, no aftermarket. I would not use af anyway. The saw doesn't look bad for a state surplus deal, check your compression to get a baseline on what condition the engine is in. After that make sure it idles,revs, and goes wot like it should. Check my sig for the DP #. Congrats! The 044/440 is the best in it's class!

Typical price on a Oregon tip at a dealer seems to be $15-20.00 plus tax. They should install it for you. Nice saw.

Why be p:censored: ssed off about a 1/4 turn cap? There great, give it some time, you'll like it.

I'm pizzed about it because the photo in the auction (saw I thought I was getting) had matching caps and I'd rather have a saw with matching caps... call me anal if you want :D

I like them as well, after getting used to them.

i have stihl's with both styles of caps and i do prefer the newer cap (the ms260 i have is setup like yours so i know what you mean).
Measure your bar width at the tip or get the proper part # for your tip , i may have one .

Back