Did some cutting yesterday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselTech

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some cleanup for a farmer nearby, and attacked a rather large downed oak yesterday. I didn't measure it, but the base was easily 30" across. I had to rip most of the rounds in half, and as I got closer to the base I had to quarter them, just so I could lift them into the truck. The last foot or so of the base was rotted out in the center and it probably won't do too well in the stove, but I hauled it off anyway. The gentleman I'm cutting for has told me I can cut all of the downed trees on his farm I want, and if I run out of them he has some standing ones we can drop. He won't allow anyone else to cut there, but in return I have to clean up the entire tree and pile the limbs where he can burn them easily. Sounds like a great deal to me! The 361 ran well, and aside from a few issues with one of my chains I had a good day. I'm conservatively guessing I got 1.5 cords or so out of the tree.

Cutting001.jpg

Cutting003.jpg

Cutting006.jpg

Cutting008.jpg

Cutting009.jpg

Cutting012.jpg

Cutting013.jpg

Cutting016.jpg

SWEEEET !!! I would have never guessed I'd see the workhorse you have hauling wood. Nice load of you you scored there and a great looking ride to bring it home with. :cheers:

Very nice. I have a car trailer with elect/hydraulic dump. It doesn't get high enough to actual dump the wood, but it is good if you want to winch on logs or lower the deck for less of a step onto it. I think a truck like yours would be great for firewood, but I'm almost (ALMOST) running out of room for big toys.

:cheers:

Thanks y'all. Believe it or not, the truck is actually the only vehicle I own. My wife has an '83 Mercedes diesel, and I have the truck.

It's a '56 F-350. It's a 272 Y block V8 with a 2 barrel carb and a four speed transmission, driving a set of 4.86 gears in the rear. Top speed is about 55. Sure does haul some wood, though. I built the bedsides 44" tall, and the bed measures 7' by 9', so a load stacked just barely higher than the sides should be about two full cords.

Gorgeous truck! i can only dream of having a truck that nice. i get to borrow a 92 f350 dump from time to time, but thats very limited. normally a friend of mine and i use his f150 short bed. not the best but it gets the job done good work, sweet deal on the wood. keep it up. family will be pleased with the heat!:clap:

I'll comment on the truck too:clap:

Kinda reminds me of the truck I sold a few years ago. A '66 long bed ford that when my uncle bought it(back in 1968) he needed to haul alot of rock to build up a river bank behind his house and got tired of shoveling so he built a hidden dump into the truck. He made a scissor lift under the box out of old fork lift parts. Worked awesome too, the truck looked stock except for a small lever behind the cab. Pretty cool to have a level box load of gravel, sand, lime or whatever, drop the tailgate flip the switch and lift the box straight up. You wouldn't believe the looks I used to get.:jawdrop: Wish I had some pics to show you. I miss it but the cancer got to her really bad for the second time and we decided to get rid of it. Last I saw her she was on her way to Texas. I wonder if she made it?:confused:

Thanks for all the compliments, y'all. Rest assured, the truck looks better in pictures than in real life. :hmm3grin2orange:

It gets the job done, though.

Nice truck ! Mine has a dump on it too. It is the reason I bought it. It sure help handling that wood. I would like to come out there an meet you some time just to say hello since we are 10 miles or so away.

Pacman, I'd like to say hello as well, but we may be more than 10 miles apart. If you're down in Columbia, we're a couple hours apart. I live just outside Gallatin, almost on the KY line.

Latest posts

Back