Buying a MS 260 Pro Tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkfeather

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, the gas prices here in North Central Pennsylvania are going so high, we are forced to start burning wood. I guess I would like opinions from some of you nice folks on here about my saw choice. I have had a Poulan Pro 18" Model 260 42cc saw for the last 10 years or so. It has been used as a camp wood saw and for trim work at home and some minor clearing work. It has been a good saw, but I want one that is better since I will be cutting a LOT of firewood for a long time. I studied long and hard and read a lot of reviews and decided to buy the Stihl MS 260 Pro and use the Poulan as a back up and second saw. The Stihl that I have my eyes on has the 20" bar with a .325 chain. Some of my reasons for choosing this saw (Other than my father-in-law and brother in law making fun of my Poulan for so long since they are die hard Stihl users at home and at work, LOL!) I have a medical condition that makes it necessary that I have a little lighter saw than normal, I want one that will last a long time with minor maintenance, I need a bit more reach than the 18" like on the Poulan, and I need enough power to be able to cut plenty of firewood with ease. Did I make the right choice? Should I ask the dealer to throw in anything on the deal, or are Stihl dealers funny about that? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. BTW this is my first post so I say a big HOWDY to all of you fine folks from this ex-Texan turned Pennsylvanian!

Well, the gas prices here in North Central Pennsylvania are going so high, we are forced to start burning wood. I guess I would like opinions from some of you nice folks on here about my saw choice. I have had a Poulan Pro 18" Model 260 42cc saw for the last 10 years or so. It has been used as a camp wood saw and for trim work at home and some minor clearing work. It has been a good saw, but I want one that is better since I will be cutting a LOT of firewood for a long time. I studied long and hard and read a lot of reviews and decided to buy the Stihl MS 260 Pro and use the Poulan as a back up and second saw. The Stihl that I have my eyes on has the 20" bar with a .325 chain. Some of my reasons for choosing this saw (Other than my father-in-law and brother in law making fun of my Poulan for so long since they are die hard Stihl users at home and at work, LOL!) I have a medical condition that makes it necessary that I have a little lighter saw than normal, I want one that will last a long time with minor maintenance, I need a bit more reach than the 18" like on the Poulan, and I need enough power to be able to cut plenty of firewood with ease. Did I make the right choice? Should I ask the dealer to throw in anything on the deal, or are Stihl dealers funny about that? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. BTW this is my first post so I say a big HOWDY to all of you fine folks from this ex-Texan turned Pennsylvanian!

Just got one. Great saw.

MS361

Without being modded, I honestly think 20" on the 260 will be too much for it. But the 361, for just a couple more pounds will be in the sweet spot with a 20".........and to justify the weight, it will go through the wood twice as fast, no joke (same size bar on both). The 361 also has better anti-vibe and the air filter stays cleaner, and all for about $100 more than the 260.

Also, the husqvarna 346xp New Edition gets great reviews on here, can be had for a little less than the 260, but is said to have more power and much better anti-vibe.

Whatever you do, get a hard case and proper protective equipment.......chaps, ear plugs/muffs, eye protection, etc. The hard case will keep your saw in the best condition for the long haul and help it retain a high resale value. The protective gear should be self-explanatory.

Just my opinion.

Waylan

saw

for what your are doing a 20" bar and semi skip chain will work fine:clap: if you feel you can run saw and would like a more aggressive cut then i would get the saw with a skip 375 chain and a 20" bar :chainsaw: get the 260 pro and enjoy:clap: :clap: :givebeer:
:cheers:

The 260 is a good saw, just don't rule out going a little bigger without at least hefting a 361. But you know your limitations better than we do.

The 260 pro will be a good choice for the size range.

BTW I have spent a lot of time in Smethport and Port over the years, beautiful country, and the cabin I stay at does'nt have a phone and my cell doesn't work even if I wanted it to!!! Don't care if the fish aren't biting or the deer aren't moving... It is peaceful!

My avatar is a picture of me after taking my kayak out of the river at Turtlepoint.

Good luck and be safe,

Fred

Last edited:
Maybe re-consider

Well, now that you have pointed out the vibration issue, that makes me think hard. Vibration worsens my medical problem. If the 361 will cut twice as fast that means less time on the saw. I think the 361 down at my dealers has the 3/8" RSC3 chain which also helps reduce vibration. It is about $70.00 more but I am willing to go that if it will help me in the long run... Hey Fred, we have a 1000 acre camp over toward Coudersport in Hebron Township... talk about peaceful... you got that right! Think they will throw in a hard case?? Anyone know what the cases run?

Was a bit nippy in bradford last night 39*. A 260 is a great saw, a 361 is also a great saw with a bit more power for firewood users. I own both and if your gonna cut alot of pennsylvania hardwoods with a 20 bar lean towards the 361.
Besides, if ya hang out on this site long enough more saws will follow you home.
Good luck on which ever one you choose. It will put a smile on yer face..:)

I have used the 50cc 260 with a 20" and it gets the job done, great saw. The 60cc saw's are better fit to run the 20" bar though, like the 361. If you have the extra $$$, look at the 361, it will be heavier though. Pick 'em up and see what ya like.

Lighweight and Low Vibes, I cant help but reccommend the Echo CS-520, at least pick one up and give it a feel.

The 260 isnt a bad saw, in all honesty, but it seems a little harsh compared to the Echo.

Ill be flamed for this, but it's my right to offer help, and to me, the Echo is smoother.

Lighweight and Low Vibes, I cant help but reccommend the Echo CS-520, at least pick one up and give it a feel.

The 260 isnt a bad saw, in all honesty, but it seems a little harsh compared to the Echo.

Ill be flamed for this, but it's my right to offer help, and to me, the Echo is smoother.

Red, get your weak azz Echo crap outa this thread.

Red, get your weak azz Echo crap outa this thread.

Dont be a hater because Echo costs less, starts easier and runs smoother...Both can be had with a 20" .325 bar/chain, and both are much happier with 18" b/c's. Id say that makes em pretty even in power....However both will pull the 20" B&C's.

Hey Red... You didn't mention how I handle the in-law problem. That's possibly one of the major decision makers!!! LOL

Dont be a hater because Echo costs less, starts easier and runs smoother...Both can be had with a 20" .325 bar/chain, and both are much happier with 18" b/c's. Id say that makes em pretty even in power....However both will pull the 20" B&C's.

Red, your Echo saws lack power. All there is to it.

I apoligize to the original poster for Red derailing your thread.
This is all you really need to know about Echo

Enginered
Cheap
Highly
Overrated

Red, your Echo saws lack power. All there is to it.

I apoligize to the original poster for Red derailing your thread.
This is all you really need to know about Echo

Enginered
Cheap
Highly
Overrated

And that is your opinion, as incorrect as it may be...

They are engineered to a high level of quality...Keep in mind that ECHO updates their powerplants..The STIHL power heads are the same old same old that's been around (and barely passes epa, if at all) for well over 20 years.

Your inability to have an open mind on this subject, makes you appear to be obtuse. I know you are an intelligent man however, you are just unable to admit that there is a comparable saw available, that will do the same job, for less money and is more comfortable to use. You cant prove the ECHO is inferior, the only recourse you have to my statement is childish word games that again, make you come across obtuse.

Both saws can be had with a 20" ..325 chain, and both will pull it just fine. Both saws however seem to pull an 18" bar and chain with much less effort. This means that for all effective purposes, the power outputs are even enough that any differences are rendered moot. You are either going to have a 20" chain that you cant really lay on, or an 18" chain that cuts like mad...beyond that FACT, it only comes down to personal preference and comfort.

And that is your opinion, as incorrect as it may be...

They are engineered to a high level of quality...Keep in mind that ECHO updates their powerplants..The STIHL power heads are the same old same old that's been around (and barely passes epa, if at all) for well over 20 years.

Your inability to have an open mind on this subject, makes you appear to be obtuse. I know you are an intelligent man however, you are just unable to admit that there is a comparable saw available, that will do the same job, for less money and is more comfortable to use. You cant prove the ECHO is inferior, the only recourse you have to my statement is childish word games that again, make you come across obtuse.

Both saws can be had with a 20" ..325 chain, and both will pull it just fine. Both saws however seem to pull an 18" bar and chain with much less effort. This means that for all effective purposes, the power outputs are even enough that any differences are rendered moot. You are either going to have a 20" chain that you cant really lay on, or an 18" chain that cuts like mad...beyond that FACT, it only comes down to personal preference and comfort.

My proof is by use. I have run the Echo saws and they just flat out lack power. They cannot keep up with a Stihl in the cut and they do not last long at all. You will not find any tree companies using them around here because of that. They are considered good home owner Home Depot crap.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Latest posts

Back