Buying a MS 260 Pro Tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... I'm thinking the Poulan chain is so old... like 12 years or more that it maybe lost its temper or ability to hold an edge for long. I never really bothered with up keep on it because I used it so sporadically and for odd jobs only. I'll look on the bar to see what it says so I can get a quality new chain for it. Does low-profile seem to be the norm for this type of saw? I will take the advice on the 361 and get a guide and watch the chain!

Congrats on the 361 H.F. So it's doing O.K. so far, no nitpicks even? How is the A.V. treating you, pretty smooth?

Fred- I am currently using an electric sharpener (Oregon Sure-Sharp), which does have a small guide. Would you recommend for someone just learning to get one of those manual file setups similar to the one in the video above, instead? So far no problems A.F.A.I.K. but having to do anything with "depth gauges" was news to me (B.T.W. thanks for that video Erick)!

Actually, like everyone said... the thing bout nearly does all the work itself. I had no probelems with fatigue from the saw and the vibration was non existant. I think the Poulan vibrates more than the 361... The 8 lb maul on the other hand did kick my butt a bit!!! LMAO

Yeah... I'm thinking the Poulan chain is so old... like 12 years or more that it maybe lost its temper or ability to hold an edge for long. I never really bothered with up keep on it because I used it so sporadically and for odd jobs only. I'll look on the bar to see what it says so I can get a quality new chain for it. Does low-profile seem to be the norm for this type of saw? I will take the advice on the 361 and get a guide and watch the chain!

My 260 has the factory 18" bar on it, my Wild Thing, Factory 18" bar on it...every 18" Newer Poulan Ive worked on was the exact same...

62DL or .365/0.050.

On your bar, towards the clutch side it should be engrades, Look somewhere in the numbers for .365 or 3/8LP, or "62" something like that.

My 260 was a dog when I got it...I opened up the muffler, fine tuned the carb, cleaned up the clutch, new oiler, new chain, and it worked like a champ, cuts very quickly with the narrow chain.

LP or Low Profile chain is Very narrow, much narrower than 3/8 full profile, ..325, or .404 chains...The cutters have to remove less wood..its easier on the saw.

Congrats on the 361 H.F. So it's doing O.K. so far, no nitpicks even? How is the A.V. treating you, pretty smooth?

Fred- I am currently using an electric sharpener (Oregon Sure-Sharp), which does have a small guide. Would you recommend for someone just learning to get one of those manual file setups similar to the one in the video above, instead? So far no problems A.F.A.I.K. but having to do anything with "depth gauges" was news to me (B.T.W. thanks for that video Erick)!

I would learn to file by hand first. You get a "feel" for how the chain should look and feel better by hand. Then when you sharpen with any kind of electric grinder, you can judge better on how you are doing.

That video is a great starting point (thanks Erick, sorry I missed that earlier).

I prefer the carlton file-o-plates but that is me, I also use the style that is in the video and I am sure the #'s erick posted are the same style . They work great also.

Having the hand tools to do the job can save some time when you are away from electric and you hit a nail or rock and wreck chain, might just save a trip back home.

Good luck, hope I helped.

Fred

My 260 has the factory 18" bar on it, my Wild Thing, Factory 18" bar on it...every 18" Newer Poulan Ive worked on was the exact same...

62DL or .365/0.050.

On your bar, towards the clutch side it should be engrades, Look somewhere in the numbers for .365 or 3/8LP, or "62" something like that.

My 260 was a dog when I got it...I opened up the muffler, fine tuned the carb, cleaned up the clutch, new oiler, new chain, and it worked like a champ, cuts very quickly with the narrow chain.

LP or Low Profile chain is Very narrow, much narrower than 3/8 full profile, ..325, or .404 chains...The cutters have to remove less wood..its easier on the saw.

Red, I figured you to be right on the chain it needs, but I just like to be sure by reading the #'s on the bar.

Not doubting you, just covering the bases.

Fred

Latest posts

Back