How to remove limiter caps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put a 79cc p&c on my 6401 Makita. I can't remove the limiter caps. I tried gently prying and also tried a small needle nose plier, but it wont slide off and I don't want to force it and break something. I heated the tip of an old small screwdriver and melted the 'tit' off the limiter cap, but I would still like to remove the cap because I can't get the saw to sputter at high rpm- no load. Whats the best way to remove the caps?

Last edited:
I've seen here where some take a dremel and grind the side off of the caps then pull them off sideways. I just did the same upgrade to my 6401 last night and I'm hoping that I don't have to remove them.
I richened the high side up to the stop and it seems to be doing fine. We'll see when it hits the wood.
Mike

On my Stihl I used a sharp sheet rock screw, tapped it into the limiter, and pulled them out. Went to the cleaners, I mean the Stihl dealership, and got new ones. Tach-ed up the Stihl and continues to run fine:clap: .

You guys talking about carb adjusting, or collecting on old debts????

Kind of graphic, works on both....................

I suspect that we are talking about 2 different kind of limiter caps,
ones with the ears, and the ones that are in the oval recess.
There is a tool for the one's in the oval. I will post a pic or two.

Sorry no pics at the moment, but I could get them if it meant a lot to you:) I was refering to the limiters on my 575xp. They look "like" the ones in your first picture. I used dikes to nip off the limiting tabs, then I used a utility (razor) knife to trim and smooth. I realize that carbs can be really hard to get to and dikes would be a joke with some saws, but they worked for me.:clap:

My first 7900 I used a small dremel type grinding wheel.

The second one I just used a razor sharp carving knife and it worked even easier.

Both of my 7900 had to be turned out to get off the limiter (stock).

Back