need advice removing 372XP clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
good afternoon gents. a few weeks ago, I bought 3 pretty rough saws from a fella whose dad had owned a small tree service. a MAC P1000, Stihl MS440 and the above-mentioned Husky 372XP. taking the XP apart and got to the clutch. I made a clutch removal tool from a 1-1/16 socket. put the piston about 1/2" below TDC and filled it up with the same line I've used for all the other saws I've fixed. first, I tried my trusty long handled right angle needle nose pliers manually, which sometimes works. next I tried my 18v Makita impact, never had it fail before, but it did this time. didn't want to go crazy so next I used my piece of crap HF earthquake 1/2" air impact. no use, as usual. last I used my 1/2" snap on. this thing is bad ass and still no go. I'm aware the clutch comes off with reverse thread (clockwise) and it is marked so with arrows. haven't tried heat yet. any ideas?
PXL_20231028_193954536.MP.jpgPXL_20231028_194012038.MP.jpg

I see you’ve made your own tool which is awesome! But I would start with using the actual socket designed for this job, although it’s not much different than yours I’d bet it would apply a more even torque around the shaft which is likely the fiz to the problem you’re having. Good luck.

Just the comp of the saw alone is enough to hold that back with an air gun, now IDK what that homemade tool will do to the clutch, is it modeled after a proper tool? Go a few shots with the gun in the proper direction and keep checking for damage, then let it fly..
He said he already did that.

it does seem to bounce back when it hits. I've removed clutches from 044's, 70cc Mac, 441's, etc. different tools but don't take near that much torque. guess I'll pull the cyl and piston but seems like that would make it more difficult.

to clarify, the tool wasn't bouncing back, the clutch was.

Maybe his homemade tool don't have proper leverage.
I agree with you, using an impact there is no need to block the cylinder, crank or piston….the compression is enough. But he said he already pounded away on it with his 1/2” snap on air gun. So I’m not sure how doing it more of the same is going to help ..

it does seem to bounce back when it hits. I've removed clutches from 044's, 70cc Mac, 441's, etc. different tools but don't take near that much torque. guess I'll pull the cyl and piston but seems like that would make it more difficult.
How long you running the air tool on it?

dont do that

95% come loose with my 1/4”18v impact. A few need the 1/2” 18v. A few need the 1/2” air impact. I’ve also removed the cylinder and stopped the crank with a screwdriver handle and used a 1/2” ratchet with a cheater pipe. Never seen one that wouldn’t come off.

Sometimes the bounce works against the impacts and you need to use the manual methods

Sometimes I've had to leave any sort of stop out of the saw and give a few quick bursts with an impact to shock it loose. Or try a cold chisel in the removal notch and a few blows with a smaller hammer and a few with a 4 pounder. I dunno why, but sometimes clutches can be real finicky bastardos. Or try melting a crayon into the threads, that's my last-ditch effort and it's yet to fail me.

Back