What sealant to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotchguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My trusty Husqvarna 345 is having some oiling problems. I bought a new rubber seal (arrow 1 on the picture) and drilled out the hole in the bar to try to bring it more into register with the slot on the oiler cover plate. The rubber seal seems to be making contact because you can see its outline on the cover plate. However, I've still got some chain oil dripping out the bottom when I leave the saw standing after use and it also collects debris and generally fouls things up.

Arrow 2 indicates a slot with the remnants of some original sealant applied by the manufacturer. I would be grateful if someone could suggest what type of product to use here. Silicone bathroom, perhaps? However, I'm not even sure what good it would do as the slot and the sealant don't seem to go all the way round the cover plate.

Any suggestions, please?

Ronnie.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 09.49.57.jpg

Most non-hardening sealants work. I’ve used both silicone and Motoseal.

Remove the pump and hose from the tank. Degrease everything. Use a small amount of sealant on the hose where it seats in the tank. Reinstall. And dent the cover plate in the area directly overtop of the oil line/pump connection. Reinstall

I like the "DENT" Part. I am working on a 340 Husky and I will need to pay special attention to this. The Spur sprocket was worn 80% through to the needle bearing. I managed to spring this plate getting the remains of the oil pump drive off. The motor was locked up Thanks

Latest posts

Back