Mystified and perplexed by #%&*# Husqvarna 50 oiler!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem? I just finished rebuilding a decent husqvarna 50 white top saw, starts and runs nice. However, the chain does not seem to be getting oil. I took off the bar, and it seems like oil is coming out of the hole in sort of a pulsatile manner, but the oil comes out. I put the bar back on with just washers so I could see what was going on, but bar groove seems dry. I though maybe oil was escaping through the unused upper adjustment hole, so I covered that one with metal tar on the outside to act as an outer bar plate, put bar back on with washers, still dry. Im using an old small mount husqvarna bar, and I enlarged the oiler holes in bar with a 3/16 bit, didnt help. Could the pump be too weak? Should I go find a dumpster?!!?IMG_2081.jpegIMG_2106.jpegIMG_2107.jpegIMG_2108.jpeg

No dumpster. Send it my way, I will pay disposal fee. No white top experience but I have 2 gray tops. Bought one new and one non running. When I got it running it didn't pump much oil at all. I took it apart and some one had put a china oil pump on it. I bought a used oem pump from a member and it worked fine. So yes I would say the oiler could be weak. Did you have the pump off during the rebuild?

No dumpster. Send it my way, I will pay disposal fee. No white top experience but I have 2 gray tops. Bought one new and one non running. When I got it running it didn't pump much oil at all. I took it apart and some one had put a china oil pump on it. I bought a used oem pump from a member and it worked fine. So yes I would say the oiler could be weak. Did you have the pump off during the rebuild?
I didn’t even check the oil pump. Pretty much just meteor piston and carb rebuild. I may have another pump from a 50. I guess I will try that. I was originally hoping to fix it and sell it, but it may take a little more.

I didn’t even check the oil pump. Pretty much just meteor piston and carb rebuild. I may have another pump from a 50. I guess I will try that. I was originally hoping to fix it and sell it, but it may take a little more.
What’s odd is that it does pump a little oil with bar removed, but none of it seems to get in t the groove when the bar is on.

50 51
What’s odd is that it does pump a little oil with bar removed, but none of it seems to get in t the groove when the bar is on.
You may find the issue when you get the pump out.

I removed the old pump( in the picture) and replaced it with another old pump that was slightly different, although I think it was also from a 50. I could not see anything wrong with either, although this is my very first oil pump experience ( hope ya'll are proud of me). In any case, it now seems to pump enough oil. Not sure if it was the cleaning I did, or that's the used replacement pump was better. No idea, but it oils the chain. I also tried a little kerosene in the bar oil. It seemed the the round plastic part around the crankshaft had grease packed in on the underside. Not sure if that's supposed to be there, but I stuck some under the replacement pump plastic piece just in case, ( is that supposed to have grease?). thanks for your ideas, someone is gonna get a really nice 50 if it ever sells!

I removed the old pump( in the picture) and replaced it with another old pump that was slightly different, although I think it was also from a 50. I could not see anything wrong with either, although this is my very first oil pump experience ( hope ya'll are proud of me). In any case, it now seems to pump enough oil. Not sure if it was the cleaning I did, or that's the used replacement pump was better. No idea, but it oils the chain. I also tried a little kerosene in the bar oil. It seemed the the round plastic part around the crankshaft had grease packed in on the underside. Not sure if that's supposed to be there, but I stuck some under the replacement pump plastic piece just in case, ( is that supposed to have grease?). thanks for your ideas, someone is gonna get a really nice 50 if it ever sells!
I've taken off 3 or 4 of them and they all had grease under them. Could've been the cleaning that did it.

Latest posts

Back