why IQ tests should be required for chainsaw purchases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E&R_firewood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i need to vent about a recent experience . . .a couple of nights ago, the wife and i decided to drive up to one of the many mountain lakes on the national forest in this region, to roast some marshmallows and commune with mother nature. as an afterthought i threw a saw and some related equpment in the pickup bed, i had a single half-cord firewood permit left and figured if i drove by something that was easy gettin' i'd use my permit. on the way to the lake we came upon a large red-needled lodgepole pine leaning over the road (jeep trail) i pulled the truck off the road to investigate. when i walked out into the brush i noticed three fresh stumps near the tree i had spotted from the road; the trees had been felled rather high on the stump with a V shape left in the stump . . . i call it the "either way" technique as the tree can go either way when felled in that fashion . . .see it quite a bit actually, makes me shudder every time. the slash from the trees was everywhere as well as tree tops. i walked to the tree i had spotted and found it to had been visited by the same saw that had felled the other trees in the area . . .but the back cut (if you can call it that) had been abandoned when the tree settled back and began to lean towards the road . . .the tree was about three feet in diameter at the base . . .with probably no more than 15 inches of wood holding it from falling. in the time since i'd left the truck i had seen 3 other vehicles drive on the roadway a few yards from where i stood, in the slight wind that was blowing i could see the tree swaying . . . it was pretty eery. i retreated to the truck, grabbed by saw, axe and wedges i decided to try and drop the tree so at least it would be down and not pose a hazard. i had the wife move and park the truck in the middle of the road and put the flashers on to shut down traffic while i made my attempt, in case the tree went across the road. the wedges did the trick and the tree fell not exactly where i'd have liked, but not across the road either. . . i am just wondering what kind of a dillweed does such a thing? and does not realize or care that their stupidity could harm others . . .the person who attempted to harvest this tree would never ever pass an IQ test in order to obtain a chainsaw.

I agree with you, who ever left that tree in that condition put him self as well as others in great danger! You did the right thing in finishing the job. People like that have no business running a chain saw either.

:agree2:

IQ only measures 'intelligence'.
Not sure what can measure stupidity.
I've known highly intelligent people who were stupid. (PB's BIL comes to mind.)
Ignorance can be changed with knowledge. Stupid is forever....
not caring a rip about the effect of their actions on others...

least you did the right thing preventing possible serious injury.

k

We got a saying here in the south, "He's smart enough, just aint got any sense"
Plenty of those folks around here with a saw in their hands.....

Latest posts

Back