038 Super to Magnum Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM_DaddyMac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am expecting delivery of a newly acquired 038 Super this week. I have noticed a few threads recently about this saw and some mention of converting from a Super version to a Magnum version. I have a couple questions if I may.

1. Is it simply a matter of replacing the piston, rings and cylinder jug with a Magnum p/c assembly? Do the mounting holes align or is some alteration required?
  2. Is any modification needed to the intake or exhaust side?
  3. What performance improvement is achieved -- from XXcc's to XXcc's by this conversion?
  4. Is there a benefit to locating a salvaged Stihl (OEM) p/c assy or are the after-market kits comparable? Any recommendations?
  5. Would I achieve the same results by modifying the muffler to the Super, and would or should I consider a muffler mod for the Magnum?
Ok - that is a good start. Any assistance or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I am expecting delivery of a newly acquired 038 Super this week. I have noticed a few threads recently about this saw and some mention of converting from a Super version to a Magnum version. I have a couple questions if I may.

1. Is it simply a matter of replacing the piston, rings and cylinder jug with a Magnum p/c assembly? Do the mounting holes align or is some alteration required?
  2. Is any modification needed to the intake or exhaust side?
  3. What performance improvement is achieved -- from XXcc's to XXcc's by this conversion?
  4. Is there a benefit to locating a salvaged Stihl (OEM) p/c assy or are the after-market kits comparable? Any recommendations?
  5. Would I achieve the same results by modifying the muffler to the Super, and would or should I consider a muffler mod for the Magnum?
Ok - that is a good start. Any assistance or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1) You have to slot the holes in the cyl/gasket to match the super case. Grind the jug a little so the cyl bolts will seat flush on the base of the jug, and open up the access holes so that the t-27 wrench can get at the bolt heads. Crank, wrist pin/clips, upper bearing are all the same.

2) Intake and exhaust bolts up.

3) 67 to 72cc

4) Good OEM or tecomec

5) I open up the dual port muffler a bit and match it to the exhaust port. Or get the 3 port mag II muffler, these are still available but like the cyl assy $$$$

After reading this thread I decided to fit a 52 mm cylinder and piston to my 038avs (50mm piston etc).I had originally bought the saw secondhand and it was well worn barely ticked over,but nursed it along for a season or two but it finally gave up the ghost. Just finished it today and got a run out of it YEEHAH I feel like Dr Frankenstine It fired up after about 3 or 4 pulls and filled the garden with two stroke smoke .Let my creature live !!!

IMG_0817.JPG
Mastermind (Randy Evans) converted one for me. It is one saw that will never leave here whilst I'm still kickin'

This has a Tecomec topend from Weedeaterman (site sponsor) and Randy's port work & Jon's expert muffler mod :heart:

Duane,

Would you choose the saw over an 044 that's been ported as well?

I have a 038 Super that's very clean (180psi compression stock), an OEM 038Mag jug and a meteor ready to go.

I also have 2 044's and an 046.

My buddy's the original owner of an 038Mag from the early 90's. He's a landscaper that walked into his Stihl dealer and said "I need a big saw to cut stumps with". The dealer handed him an 038Mag. He's used the saw in stock form for ~25 years so far, always starts, hasn't even adjusted the carb. This was the first big Stihl I Ever used.

I don't think that the 044 was out when he bought his saw.

Duane,

Would you choose the saw over an 044 that's been ported as well?

I have a 038 Super that's very clean (180psi compression stock), an OEM 038Mag jug and a meteor ready to go.

I also have 2 044's and an 046.

My buddy's the original owner of an 038Mag from the early 90's. He's a landscaper that walked into his Stihl dealer and said "I need a big saw to cut stumps with". The dealer handed him an 038Mag. He's used the saw in stock form for ~25 years so far, always starts, hasn't even adjusted the carb. This was the first big Stihl I Ever used.

I don't think that the 044 was out when he bought his saw.
I'm not sure If I have ever run an 044? I do have a 441CM but that is hardly apples to apples.......If you have the stuff gathered to make a conversion, I think you will be very happy with the results. Also, I think you are correct on the timing, 044 followed the 038. Fairly certain they are somewhat lighter and a bit more compact/nimble, (two things an 038 isn't). It is just a brute from yesteryear. Elastostart highly recommended. :)

Latest posts

Back