mix ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oil mix ratios have been beaten to death on this forum. A quick search will give you more information that you could possibly want to know. The bottom line go something like this… if you are using dino oil go with 40:1, a semi-synthetic go with 45:1 and full synthetic run 50:1. I use stihl ultra at 50:1 mainly because of my 4-mix equipment. Before that I always ran husky oil at 40:1. No problems or power differences.

Last edited:
Common sense suggests that a change on fuel density will alter power output, all else being equal. 50 parts gasoline to one part oil is thus a more "powerful" fuel than 40:1. Enough to see or feel a difference? Most likely not.

A properly sharpend chain with all the correct depths and angles versus a dull or even so-so-sharpend chain would be a much more obvious "controllable" to keep an eye on.

50:1 mix, saw in proper tune, and well-maintained chain is your best bet for cutting speed and efficiency as well as cost effective, long-term saw life.

Welcome to AS, and here are the requsite repplies to this volitile first-post:

"SEARCH!!!!" "RTFM!!!!"

Agreed, plenty of good info on this subject. We run 2.0 gallons to either Husqvarna or Stihl premium mix instead of 2.5 gallons.

Never had one single problem with any saw we've owned, worked on, etc, in any area regarding parts that require oil lubrication.

In my opinion, it is equally as important, if not moreso to make sure the saw is well maintained, and kept in perfect tune at all times. This avoids lean conditions, high EGT's, and LESS oil being carried to the moving parts.

Giving up a tiny bit of power with a slightly richer A/F ratio is a better approach to tuning than trying to get maximum rpms out of the saw. Changes in outside temperature, humidity, DA, etc will also play a role in the "tune" of the saw. We make small adjustments for varying weather/climate conditions in the field when needed. Basically, not one of my saws has ever been allowed to run lean for any reason, and they all still run flawlessly in all areas, after decades of use.

It also helps to keep the chain sharp at all times, as bearing down on a saw in the cut works the chain, bar and engine many times harder than needed, which leads to shorter engine life, not to mention it wallers out the bar much faster!......hope this helps some.....Cliff

PS: use good fuel as well, we avoid the "low end" stations, Amoco 92 or 93 octane, no exceptions, because I like my equipment and treat it as good as I can. It rewards me with DEAD SOLID reliability in all areas, at all times!:clap:

Back