Oil mix questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently run 50:1 and see a lot of different stuff about 40:1 or 32:1 and a lot of different brands of oil. I run a lot of 2-stroke equipment including, blowers, brush cutters, trimmers, chainsaws, etc. on stihl oil. I have seen a lot of stuff about AMSOIL and have thought of switching to it but I am also confused about mix ratios. Any guidance would help as I am very confused about this topic.

Uh oh. What do you mean oh boy?
another oil thread. You’ll know every type , mixture, octane rating, etc. and then some.

If you’re running an engine 10k rpm’s @ 50:1, the epa don’t care how many engines you burn up. 32:1 is the ticket. Non ethanol fuel and ANY air cooled 2cycle synthetic oil.

Here we go…

I don't see much about AMSOIL on the search bar.
Thats funny- if I type amsoil into the "seach forums" option- using it as a keyword - it returns 10 pages of hits.
Do you speed read? Or is 10 pages just not enough information to make an informed decision?

It's almost like the search function doesn't work on the forum again....

It's not the search function that's at fault, it's the 'read after you've searched' function.

Edit: To be fair, I've gotten plenty of better results by searching forums with Google instead of the forum's own built in search. Search "site:arboristsite.com amsoil" in Google and see what comes back.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 113117.jpg

@Mr.Metsä I started that thread referred to in the post just after your OP. Here's what I gather - more experienced hands will hopefully chime in.
Use the manufacturer's instructions if you're not doing anything crazy. If you are, then you should be running 33:1 or 40:1 especially if you're doing anything heavy duty. There are better and worse 2-stroke oils on the market. Amsoil Saber, VP, and Red Armor are good, and there are other good options too. Stihl oil, especially Ultra, is not as good as one might be led to believe. I believe the best thing to do is monitor your temps using an IR thermometer (cylinder should be between 220 and 320 F) and make sure to tune your carb appropriately. The Husky manuals say to use 33:1 for heavy duty applications but they don't say this in the US manuals. Why knows why? Extra oil will lube your bits, and the extra fuel (due to rich carb settings) will keep your chainsaw (no idea about other equipment) cooler. Hope this helps!

Amsoil Dominator at 32:1 works wonders in ported and non ported 2 stroke motors. I have been running 40:1 in 4mix motors and getting an rpm increase without the heat increase. It is all in the tune... Learn your carbs and how to set them and it will serve you well. Save you on equipment failures from now on too.

All manufacture will say how much oil. Now to feel warm and fuzzy inside to add extra oil will not happen. Add another quart of oil to all your engines see how it works out. To tune the extra oil. I have no Ideal. All my 2 strokes ran for decades. With no trouble.

I currently run 50:1 and see a lot of different stuff about 40:1 or 32:1 and a lot of different brands of oil. I run a lot of 2-stroke equipment including, blowers, brush cutters, trimmers, chainsaws, etc. on stihl oil. I have seen a lot of stuff about AMSOIL and have thought of switching to it but I am also confused about mix ratios. Any guidance would help as I am very confused about this topic.
I run Amsoil for years. The first I notice was my Harley was way cooler when very hot out. This motorcycle was way better with less heat. I run Lawnboy mowers. I start them with one pull after setting all winter I spray starting fluid in a 2cycle

Latest posts

Back