Interesting different oil/ratio observation today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing with oak in the Upper midwest is even standing dead it doesn't ever dry out. I've cut unto gypsy moth killed red oaks that had been dead for decades. The outer inch or so would be powdery/punky, but past that the center would be nearly as wet as a green tree. As such they are not that hard to cut. Sugar maple on the other hand if it's cut standing dead and it's not rotted(which is rare) is very hard because it drys right out. Elm standing dead is also pretty hard/dry when standing dead, even though it's density doesn't suggest that. Hickory would be another tough one when standing dead.
Hickory , Ash or Ironwood species also dense & hard , dead or alive Ben !

Always allow your saw to idle for 30 seconds or more prior to shutting it off for sharpening or refueling . My larger ported saws at least a minute of idle time prior to shutdown .( actually any engine ) . I believe that is what Wolfy was relating to us !
That certainly is correct.

I've cut a bit of ironwood and it's dry and hard even when green. However in the UP of MI it never gets very big. A 6" is a big one and maybe the largest I've seen was 8".
The Ironwood species up North here are a little larger . I have 4 in my back yard around 16" to 20 " girth & average height of 60 to 75 ' . There are also another species thats almost like a tall bush that loves both low lying ravines & swamps at Moose Camp & also high ridge lines & rocky bluffs that surround my Deer Camp . Very similiar to what North & Central Michigan has i would think . Burn good & hot with little ash .

Only mtronic I have long term experience with is the ms661. I don't like the one tune for all and they only got worse with each coil update blubbering fat what I'd give to be able to tweak the high in and clean the tune up on a mtronic 661.
I got husky 550 xpg not keen on the AT, I like to tune myself but I must say it does run well and a great little saw. Currently experimenting with Putoline mx9 it's a very clean oil, not a cheap oil but I like it.

Latest posts

Back