How many cords in this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek5900

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently bucked a wind blown hard maple into fire wood. At the base it was 24 inches in diameter. It was 52 feet long, tapering to 11 inches. I used the weight of wood charts posted elsewhere on AS to figure the weight of some of the 16 inch rounds that I had cut. I am guessing at just short of a cord. I figured the volume of the biggest round which was 24 inches in diameter and 16 inches long and the volume of the smallest round which was 16 inches long and 11 inches in diameter and averaged those two figures. That figure was 2.45 cubic feet per round on average. I had cut 42 rounds. That would equal about 102 cubic feet of firewood. A cord is 128 cubic feet.

I don't plan on stacking it to see.
With the tree top added in I think there would be over a cord.

Any math people on here have an insight on how to figure the volume/cords in that tree?

Thanks

I used an online calculator and came up with 95 cu. ft.
A cord is 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. containing approximately 128 cubic feet of bark, wood and air space. Air space can actually be as high as 40 percent but usually averages 25 percent
So a cord( 128cu. ft.) with 25% air space would be about 96 cu. ft. of solid wood. So your tree should be dang close to a cord once it is split and stacked.

I used an online calculator and came up with 95 cu. ft.
A cord is 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. containing approximately 128 cubic feet of bark, wood and air space. Air space can actually be as high as 40 percent but usually averages 25 percent
So a cord( 128cu. ft.) with 25% air space would be about 96 cu. ft. of solid wood. So your tree should be dang close to a cord once it is split and stacked.

That was my best guess too.

Would you mind linking the online calculator?

Thanks

For relatively straight tapers you can add the large end diameter to the small end diameter and divide by 2 for an average. If the tree does something different then you can get the diameter at several places and come up with an average. It always works out to pretty accurate.

For this tree;

(24 + 11)/2 = 17.5" avg. dia.

(17.5/12)(17.5/12).7854 = 1.67 square feet, average cross sectional area

1.67(52) = 86.9 cubic feet

assume 25% voids if stacked 1.25(86.9) = 109 cubic feet

109/128 = .85 or 85% of a cord, about 2 1/2 face cords, +/- of course.

Anyhow thats the way I do it when calculating wood storage under log cranes or the trees I fell.

Last edited:
There is a chart on this PDF that gives a fair estimate of how trees of varying DBH you will have to cut to come up with a cord of firewood. I have found the information there useful several times. Also has an easy to read BTU chart for different wood.

For relatively straight tapers you can add the large end diameter to the small end diameter and divide by 2 for an average. If the tree does something different then you can get the diameter at several places and come up with an average. It always works out to pretty accurate.

For this tree;

(24 + 11)/2 = 17.5" avg. dia.

(17.5/12)(17.5/12).7854 = 1.67 square feet, average cross sectional area

1.67(52) = 86.9 cubic feet

assume 25% voids if stacked 1.25(86.9) = 109 cubic feet

109/128 = .85 or 85% of a cord, about 2 1/2 face cords, +/- of course.

Anyhow thats the way I do it when calculating wood storage under log cranes or the trees I fell.

Makes perfect sense to me. That was my line of thinking. I appreciate your taking the time with this.

There is a chart on this PDF that gives a fair estimate of how trees of varying DBH you will have to cut to come up with a cord of firewood. I have found the information there useful several times. Also has an easy to read BTU chart for different wood.

I downloaded and read this file and saved it in My Documents. I think it will come in handy.

Thanks for the information.

I am guessing at just short of a cord.

I believe it will make better then a cord easy, split and normally stacked.
Roughly most of my 60+ cc saws when their good and sharp cut close to 1/3 cord per tank, (16").I usually estimate an 15" breast high tree about 1/3 cord and as diameter gets bigger volume increases very significant. Usually I'm not far off on my figures.

Latest posts

Back