Chains-Husky,Stihl or??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone69er

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need a new chain for my 450e(seems like a swear word around here) and would like to know some thoughts,its running the std H30 at the moment.Keep in mind that theres no "Bailey's" or such,over here,really just Husky or Stihl etc

Last edited:
Need a new chain for my 450e(seems like a swear word around here) and would like to know some thoughts,its running the std H30 at the moment.Keep in mind that theres no "Bailey's" or such,over here,really just Husky or Stihl etc

I would think Bailey's could ship to New Zealand.

Stihl chain by far.

But, you will need to have the chain made up. If you have a 18" bar on your saw and go to a Stihl dealer and get a 18" chain it will not fit.

Yeah, bailey's "woodsman pro" chain is a great value @ .33 the cost of Stihl. I like it better than Oregon, but prefer Stihl chain.

Bailey's is an international mail order outfit, not a dome-depot!

Cool mite,thanks for the advice,mite try the Stihl chain first,am I wrong in thinking that Stihl make chains to fit Husky bars??and yeah its running a 18" bar.:popcorn:

Cool mite,thanks for the advice,mite try the Stihl chain first,am I wrong in thinking that Stihl make chains to fit Husky bars??and yeah its running a 18" bar.:popcorn:

Yep!!

Your Stihl dealer can fit you up properly, while he's badgering you about not owning a Stihl... they do that.;)

Husky Chain is Oregon chain over here, and I assume world wide.

Some guys don't have issues with Oregon chain, I hate it and would rather run RSC backwards than a new LGX Oregon chain.:D

You guys got Carlton over there?? Bailys chain is re-badged Carlton, and is good stuff!!

Good luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

Allot of people dislike the new LPX, but have not had any issues with it yet !?
Stihl RS and RM are very nice chains and here they don't cost more than a Oregon chain but are harder to get your hands on here because of the lack of "real" dealers, but I buy them when ever i get my hands on a fitting one :)

.050 should be easy to find if you find a Stihl dealer with a decent stock.
I'm not so sure about .058, but I think Husky has gone to .050 wide on most bars these days.

Here all Huskies sold use 0.058" and Stihl use 0.063" right across the board with their 3/8 stuff.
0.050" is almost as rare as rocking horse poop, so imagine my surprise when I wandered in to a newish Stihl dealership here and asked of a 72DL loop of 0.050" full chisel RSC. The young bloke said he was pretty sure he had a roll (almost everyone runs semi chisel in the parts, dirty, hard timber everywhere) and sure enough he made me a loop up.

And yes, Husky chain is re-badged Oregon in the southern hemisphere too.

Allot of people dislike the new LPX, but have not had any issues with it yet !?
Stihl RS and RM are very nice chains and here they don't cost more than a Oregon chain but are harder to get your hands on here because of the lack of "real" dealers, but I buy them when ever i get my hands on a fitting one :)

Husky dl counts and sometimes gauge is special order here, and a price booster :censored: - takes a few weeks to get them as well - looking forward to try 25RSC-66 on the 346xp and 5100S......:cheers:

I believe Carlton is sold as GB "down under".

and also Carlton in a Carlton box.
It depends on who the shops major wholesale supplier is. Jak Max is the Carlton importer for here now.

And FWIW, GB has lost the right to re-package/re-sell Carlton, so once their present stocks go, they're gone.
Big rumours around the industry here on whether they are going to go into production themselves or buy bulk chain from China and re-package.

and also Carlton in a Carlton box.
It depends on who the shops major wholesale supplier is. Jak Max is the Carlton importer for here now.

And FWIW, GB has lost the right to re-package/re-sell Carlton, so once their present stocks go, they're gone.
Big rumours around the industry here on whether they are going to go into production themselves or buy bulk chain from China and re-package.

That would suck. Except for the Stihl dealers.

What happened? GB figure they can do better like Stihl did?
I wish 'em luck.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wow,thanks for all the good advise,think I,ll give the Stihl can a run through the gears.Feel privlidged that Saw Troll answered to one of my questions..:clap:,Been to Norway(Oslo)once and lovely place,hope you are well after the lose of your partner:angel:

That would suck. Except for the Stihl dealers.

What happened? GB figure they can do better like Stihl did?
I wish 'em luck.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Naa, GB have been through the wringer.
I don't know all the in's and out's, this is just an observation from afar as I don't deal directly with either company.

One of GB's execs left and then started Jak Max as an opposition wholesaler, so GB took him to court and it ended up in the Supreme court.
It dragged on for a few years and cost huge $ but in the finish the judgement came out in GB's favour but almost immediately a supplier took action to wind them up so an Administrator was appointed. This corresponds with the period at the end of last year that supply of bars in NA dried up.

I believe the company has since been sold to another Australian wholsaler and they've now lost the Carlton deal, which Jak Max seemed to have acquired but are marketing it straight up as Carlton chain and bars.

Crap.

I hate to see the few companys we have left go twistin' in the wind.

Thanks for the info!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back