Solid from Stihl Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howellhandmade

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Recently my MS290 developed a kind of quirky problem. Started great from cold, and cut great for a tank or two of gas. But after cutting steadily for an hour, the idle revs would drop, the saw would stall out and not restart. When it cooled down it would start again. Acted like the clutch was dragging, though it looked fine and the sprocket would spin freely. Idle speed couldn't be raised enough to counter the drag when the saw was hot without running the chain. Chain brake? Since the saw was still under warranty I decided I didn't have to troubleshoot any more and took it back to the dealer today. He called after a while and said that he thought maybe the problem was the octane of my gas, that he'd dumped it and refilled with 89 octane and the saw started and cut fine. I said, yes, the saw ALWAYS starts and cuts great from cold, always cuts fine for the first tank, and what just got dumped was fresh 93 octane mixed with Stihl HP.

Hmm, he said, everything looks fine and there's no real way to diagnose it when it's not having its problem, so why don't I just give you a new saw and put this one out as a rental. Either it won't get run that hard or somebody will bring it back when it's acting up and then we can diagnose it. As it stands there's nothing to fix, but you've put up with it long enough and there's no point in costing you more trips.

Sounds good, I said. Any problem if I put it toward a 361?

Nope, he said.
:cheers:

Works for him.

Stihl will authorize replacement under warranty, they wont want the saw...he will keep it, clean it up, fix the problem which is probably nothing major, and sell it himself.

Happy customer, happy dealer, Oblivious regional rep...

If I had to guess, probably clutch springs worn out, dragging when they finally get hot enough...or something like that.

He would get my business on any new saw after that one as well.:cheers:

Good dealers are not as easy to find as they used ta be.
Support him as much as ya can.

361? Heck yeah!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back