How to split elm - video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Splitter was built many years ago, not sure who made it. One of dad's friends owned it, he cut with us for many years, and when he quit, Dad bought it.

Pump and cylinder are off an old Cat dozer, PTO driven. Tractor is a 1973 MF 180, about 65 HP diesel. Fuel use at about 2/3 throttle is about a gallon an hour, more than doubles if wide open, and doesn't split too much faster, since most of the time is spent loading, etc. Cycle time (30" stroke) is about 18 seconds @ 1600 RPMs engine speed, 14 seconds WOT.

Sorry I didn't have any bigger rounds than these (approx 12" - the crotch might have gone 16"), but rest assured the result is always the same.

Also a couple pics for those of you on dialup.

Any questions, fire away.

Steve

attachment.php

attachment.php

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6m8gXJhLpik&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6m8gXJhLpik&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I split by hand.

I only split ELM when it is colder than 10 degrees. Splits like a dream with a Fiskars when it's that cold. Suprisingly so long as I keep moving, I don't get cold either. I split all my elm on a 3 degree day this winter, with the Fiskars Axe!

GNARYLY old school splitter. I wish I had one!

+1 Steve!
I was impressed when you split that crotch and doubly impressed when you split 2 at once. Considering I split probably 10 cord per year of Elm I know all too well how unbelievably powerful your splitter is.:bowdown:

Awesome machine

Gonna take up a collection so we can send you a free case of Krylon, so you toss a coat of paint or two on your splitter and propane tank.

Awesome machine

Gonna take up a collection so we can send you a free case of Krylon, so you toss a coat of paint or two on your splitter and propane tank.

Splitter might get a rebuild this summer, convert to either a lift axle or just get the platform up to a decent work height and add some tables.

Propane man owns the tank, trees were cut so he didn't have a reason to ##### about painting the dang tank anymore...Maybe he'll get to it this year - then again, I might cost him money if he paints it - Think my use was under a hundred gallons this winter, mostly when noone was home to feed the stove, and water heater/oven use.

BTW, this thing works MUCH better with 2 people on it, and one more stacking, can do better than 1/2 cord per hour with 3 guys that know what they're doing. With help, just split the biguns once, rotate both halves, and resplit.

Steve

Are you sure it is elm?

Yep, but with 50+ tons, it might as well be ash. That and it's a single stage pump, no "downshifting" here. It will stall out a 25hp tractor, but runs good on 40hp. Run it quite a bit with an M Farmall, but burn more gas, so if the 180 is available, I run it with that.

One day I'll hunt up an old car tire and wheel and show you guys the quick way to dismount a tire - just as long as you don't want to put another one back on :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep. That'll work.

Looks like that splitter didn't even know it was working.

:cheers:

I split by hand.

I only split ELM when it is colder than 10 degrees. Splits like a dream with a Fiskars when it's that cold. Suprisingly so long as I keep moving, I don't get cold either. I split all my elm on a 3 degree day this winter, with the Fiskars Axe!

GNARYLY old school splitter. I wish I had one!

x2

My Fiskars and I split what little elm I had during the winter. If I get any more elm this summer I may try a few splits to see what all the fuss is about, but otherwise will leave it until next winter.

Glad you guys like it. I'll get another video when I get some big stuff to put thru it.

Like I said above, I have a rebuild in mind, time and money allowing. I have a 40' grain elevator in the weeds I want to cut down and put behind it, as well as tables to hold the splits, and either a lift/lowering system for the whole machine or a log lift. It was originally made for a 3pt, but must have proved too heavy for whatever was running it, so it got a tongue and wheels. I'd like to keep it pull type as only one of my tractors has a 3pt, and I don't want to be tied to one choice.

One of these days I'll fire up the "M" and show off the buzzsaw on the front, makes quick work of the small stuff, but will also make quick work of appendages if not careful.

6:30am and I am watching someone else spilt wood. I need a new hobby....

Your back will ask for a table soon.

Very nice.

you call that elm?

Yes, it's a wonderful splitter, but those chunks are not really a challenge. It looks to be red elm judging from the dark heartwood, and that stuff splits generally ok, I find. What does it do with the kind of elm where all of the growth rings separate at once from each other and the chunk ends up as one or two or maybe more balls of fluffy stringy fibers?

Actually, from the look of the wedge, it might well slice through a really bad piece, but I am not convinced.

That is very nice,thats exactly how easy my homemade splitter splits on my skid steer,with 80hp and 22gpm single stage pump behind it,you cant even hear it change pitch splitting,cutting the knarliest knotted wood ,its like cuttting cardboard.Its done very effortlessly.

What size is the cylinder & wedge? Nice machine.

Not exactly sure of bore, but it is 7"-8" depending on wall thickness, wedge just got shortened a couple inches repairing some broken welds, was 18", now about 16". 30" stroke.

girod - that's the best I can do for now, if I find some nastier stuff, I'll definitely video it for you. There are times in a real stringy crotch that you have to decide whether to leave it big or make kindling, I usually go the kindling route, just because I can :D

Nice splitter! I can't wait to see it after your rebuild... keep the videos coming.

Back