Picco chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the swede

the swede

ArboristSite Operative
Hello all ! i realy like the stihl picco chain, and i have used it a lot on my 361's with the "picco bar"and i wonder if i can use it on a "regular" 3/8 0.050 bar? or is the piccochain to narrow for those bar's? i suppose the "regular" bar is a little wider!!??

Thank's :cheers:

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hello all ! i realy like the stihl picco chain, and i have used it a lot on my 361's with the "picco bar"and i wonder if i can use it on a "regular" 3/8 0.050 bar? or is the piccochain to narrow for those bar's? i suppose the "regular" bar is a little wider!!??

Thank's :cheers:

It won't work on "regular" 3/8 0.050 bar nose sprocket is different............what drive sprocket are you using with the Picco chain, rim or spur sprocket?

I run the .050 Picco on 026/260 and use it on 066 milling. Here in U.S. we can only
buy 16" 3003 mount bar for Picco, but I did find two NOS 20" Picco Bars.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Wow, 3/8 picco on a 361??? What would rip. How did you get a bar that size?

I run all smaller format picco bars on the 1123 size saws (210 and 250s). I run all 3/8 standard on the larger saws (361s and 044).

Trigger, where did you get the picco bars for the 260? I hate running .325 B&C. That would be a good setup to run.

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow, 3/8 picco on a 361??? What would rip. How did you get a bar that size?

I run all smaller format picco bars on the 1123 size saws (210 and 250s). I run all 3/8 standard on the larger saws (361s and 044).

Trigger, where did you get the picco bars for the 260? I hate running .325 B&C. That would be a good setup to run.

I have bought the 16" bars from Stihl dealer, I will have you the bar number in a few.

Thier is no problem running Picco on 026/260 here in U.S. because 026 uses
same rim sprocket as 025 and you just buy 025 Picco rim. For 361 and bigger
is another problem getting drive sprocket. 064/066 you can buy a spur sprocket from Logosol.

See link for 361 Picco sprocket........I cut the drum down but yet to try it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58691

the swede

the swede

ArboristSite Operative
Over here in we use mostly the 0.063 bars and chain, while you "over there" if i'm correct mostly use the 0.050 bars!? thats why i was wonder if anybody use the piccochain on a regular 3/8 bar for a longer time! i did try it myself with my 660 and a 25" bar ( 3003 000 7831 ) it did work well, i didn't noticed any problem with the nose sprocket, but i agree that they are a little different in shape, so maybe in the long run it wont work well!!? i use the standard 3/8 rim drive sprocket and havent noticed any problems there either... maybe a little more wear than normal!? ( not sure ) i know there is picco drivesprockets, but i have only used the standard so far! the piccobar's i use is 16" ( 3003 000 6313 ) and 18" ( 3003 000 6317 ). i belive that the picco can work well on a regular 3/8 bar as long as the chain is new or maybe half worn.... but then i'm afraid that the chain will be to narrow for the bar!!?? well i guess i have to try the 25 some more...then i'll know!!:)

Mad Professor
I have bought the 16" bars from Stihl dealer, I will have you the bar number in a few.

Thier is no problem running Picco on 026/260 here in U.S. because 026 uses
same rim sprocket as 025 and you just buy 025 Picco rim. For 361 and bigger
is another problem getting drive sprocket. 064/066 you can buy a spur sprocket from Logosol.

See link for 361 Picco sprocket........I cut the drum down but yet to try it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58691

You can get the spur 066 picco sprocket through stihl dealers too: part #1122 640 2006

There was an old thread about where you could adapt smaller stihl clutch parts to get a picco rim setup on an 066. I can't remember the details but think they used 036 stuff.

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
You can get the spur 066 picco sprocket through stihl dealers too: part #1122 640 2006

There was an old thread about where you could adapt smaller stihl clutch parts to get a picco rim setup on an 066. I can't remember the details but think they used 036 stuff.

I have tried to buy 066 Picco sprocket from dealer.......if you have a dealer
that can buy them let me know please. The one I bought from Logosol was $40 it is made by Stihl.

Mad Professor
I have tried to buy 066 Picco sprocket from dealer.......if you have a dealer
that can buy them let me know please. The one I bought from Logosol was $40 it is made by Stihl.

I'll check , my stihl dealer is a great guy who can't be beat for parts or labor ($15 to pull/install crank seals on a clean stripped saw!). If he can save you some $$$ he will. I'll be getting more parts this week and will check. My 066 needs a new sprocket and I've a bunch of clear cherry logs calling my name......

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'll check , my stihl dealer is a great guy who can't be beat for parts or labor ($15 to pull/install crank seals on a clean stripped saw!). If he can save you some $$$ he will. I'll be getting more parts this week and will check. My 066 needs a new sprocket and I've a bunch of clear cherry logs calling my name......

Dealer told me it's not for sale to U.S.........

Mad Professor
Dealer told me it's not for sale to U.S.........

I'll call in the part # tomorrow and see what he says. I have brought mine through logosol too, I've had a M5 mill for a quite a while, but stihl USA lists the part too. The part from logosol is $$$

Might be a stinking liability thing running picco on 066.........

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'll call in the part # tomorrow and see what he says. I have brought mine through logosol too, I've had a M5 mill for a quite a while, but stihl USA lists the part too. The part from logosol is $$$

Might be a stinking liability thing running picco on 066.........

If I remember right, it's not listed in the Stihl price book.

As swede said, I think some just use reg. 3/8 sprocket to run Picco.

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've seen Pico run on a regular 3/8s set-up.... causes a little premature wear but nothing that can't be done. If I wanted to run it that way the "wear" factor wouldn't stop me. ;)

Swede, if it starts to bind in the cut maybe you could take a belt sander and "narrow" the bar a little. :cheers:

Mad Professor
I've seen Pico run on a regular 3/8s set-up.... causes a little premature wear but nothing that can't be done. If I wanted to run it that way the "wear" factor wouldn't stop me. ;)

Swede, if it starts to bind in the cut maybe you could take a belt sander and "narrow" the bar a little. :cheers:

That will mess things up for the picco chain and if you wish to use bar/sprocket later with regular 3/8 chain.

God of ArboristSite
if you measure a pico's chain's pitch... it's .375 or 3/8

have wondered same thing, if pico would run ok with std 3/8 rim sprocket/bars? but not enough to actually run it. seems like a useless exercise....

Mike1974

Mike1974

ArboristSite Lurker
I just ordered some picco chain from logosol. I spoke to a rep there - he said their picco (which is made by Stihl) is intended to run on any .050 3/8 bar.

Also said that the standard sprocket on the 660 will work with the chain.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
i dont know for sure but when i put together my 026 with big 3/8 stuff

the dealer sold me a stihl standerd 3/8" chain, 3/8picco sprocket , and 18" 3/8 .50 bar.

they didnt know any better and neither did i at the time. that picco sprocket ruined the drivers on my spendy stihl chain

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just ordered some picco chain from logosol. I spoke to a rep there - he said their picco (which is made by Stihl) is intended to run on any .050 3/8 bar.

Also said that the standard sprocket on the 660 will work with the chain.

People at Logosol are good people, but I belive they have told you wrong.
I have some of the Stihl Picco chain from Logosol and it dose not fit the
sprocket tip of reg. 3/8 pitch bars. Teeth of reg 3/8 bar hold Picco chain
way up off the rails of bar.........I may have a picture,

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry about cell phone picture.

Both chains are Logosol (Stihl) Picco chains.
Both bars are 3003 mount Stihl bars.
Bar on left is a Picco bar, Bar on right is for reg 3/8 chain.
I would be afraid to run Picco on the bar on the right.
Stihl sells 16" 3003 mount Picco bars,

attachment.php

Latest posts