011 av Mix in Muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called Walbro this morning. They were very helpful. Apparently I ordered the wrong carb kit from Bailey's. I recieved K20-Wat when I should have purchased K10 Wat. Different diaphrams and such. Walbro customer service said they would mail me out the correct kit asap at no charge. Now thats great customer service that you don't see very much anymore. Very cool! Can't wait to get the right diaphrams and tune this thing in. Dad is coming up this weekend so I would like to have it up and running for him to see.

I'll keep you posted...

Thanks for the link Fred482 I just printed it and put it in my 011 folder. Some good info about troubleshooting and adjustments in there. Thanks again...

Waiting on the freebie carb kit.

I have saved it and referred to it many times, along with links to a lot of tech stuff. One can't have too much info when you're perpetually "lost"!

Update-

Got the new carb kit from Walbro on tuesday and spent about 4hrs messing with the saw yesterday. Swapped the correct diaphrams in, new metering lever, new needle, and adjusted the lever hieght flush with the metering chamber cover. H and L screws adjusted 1 turn out.

Saw will start right up idle well but as I hit the throttle the saw stalls out. Feathering or pumping the throttle doesn't work either. When it stalls out it will fire right back up and do the same thing. Which leaves me to believe that its not flooding out. Not sure whats going on here.

I am now a pro at removing the carb on an 011. I took the carb off again double checked everything and it all looks good. The metering side bowl was full of fuel both times I removed the cover. If i manually pressed down the metering lever the fuel would slowly flow out like it is supposed to.

Im stumped! Idles well most of the time then not so well can't rev it without stalling. Also is leaking bar oil like a mother.. Could it be an intermitant spark issue? Need to get this saw figured out. I just picked up a Poulan 3400 in great shape for $50 thats a runner and want to get working on this but the Stihl has to be finished before I start another project.

:dizzy:

The metering lever set too high is one of the most common reasons for a carb to flood, others are the diaphgram installed incorrectly or installed in the wrong order.
Pioneerguy600

Ya, I second what Mr Pioneer said, you probably installed the carb parts in the wrong order, gasket first then diaphragm.

Update-

Got the new carb kit from Walbro on tuesday and spent about 4hrs messing with the saw yesterday. Swapped the correct diaphrams in, new metering lever, new needle, and adjusted the lever hieght flush with the metering chamber cover. H and L screws adjusted 1 turn out.

Saw will start right up idle well but as I hit the throttle the saw stalls out. Feathering or pumping the throttle doesn't work either. When it stalls out it will fire right back up and do the same thing. Which leaves me to believe that its not flooding out. Not sure whats going on here.

I am now a pro at removing the carb on an 011. I took the carb off again double checked everything and it all looks good. The metering side bowl was full of fuel both times I removed the cover. If i manually pressed down the metering lever the fuel would slowly flow out like it is supposed to.

Im stumped! Idles well most of the time then not so well can't rev it without stalling. Also is leaking bar oil like a mother.. Could it be an intermitant spark issue? Need to get this saw figured out. I just picked up a Poulan 3400 in great shape for $50 thats a runner and want to get working on this but the Stihl has to be finished before I start another project.

:dizzy:

Try opening your LO screw 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. If it idles but won't rev. I'd start there. Sometimes you have to open it up more than you think as 1 turn is only a general rule of thumb to get it started.

Ya, I second what Mr Pioneer said, you probably installed the carb parts in the wrong order, gasket first then diaphragm.

Pump side- I have diaphram then gasket then cover.
Metering side- gasket, then diaphram then cover.

Metering side cover has a drainhole which is facing away from H and L screw side.

I think I got them in the right order, I've checked it enough times but who knows..

okay boys,

Got home tonight turn up the idle screw, let the saw warm up a bit idled well. Turn the low screw to about 1 1/4 turns out. Hit the throttle and it responded great, full rev bar oil flying all over the garage it was great. I figured I would tune the low screw a bit more turn it to the right until it start to lose rpm then turned it to the left until it started to lose rpm then set the screw mid way between both points. Okay great saw ran and performed as it should.

Fired it up about ten minutes later to show my buddy and it idled and died. Wtf? Got it going again and i had a bog on throttle. WTF? Right back to what it was doing last night. Its almost like when it gets warm something happens.

I didn't adjust the H needle because I didn't want to disrupt the neighborhood.

So some progress not there yet though.

Last edited:
SHE RUNS!!!! :chainsawguy:

Just took some more tuning. I'm new at this tuning thing never tuned a saw before. I have the L needle out about 1 1/4 turns and the H needle 1 turn out. I still have to fine tune the H needle but it revs good and responds to throttle well. Cut a little with it today overall very happy to have it up and running. Oiler leaks pretty bad I think its the seals around the oiler. I'm going to order these up Monday and the saw should be A1. I plan to use it as a light duty saw and limber for my apple trees.

Already bought the next project. Poulan 3400 off CL for $50. It runs but needs an air cleaner bad so I haven't cut with it yet. Needs a good cleaning, chain sharpened and the bar needs some attention.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen..:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back