011 with 18" bar keeps kicking the chain off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder15725

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an 011 and everytime I use it it will throw the chain off. It happens mostly when I'm cutting the brush off the top of a tree. It kicks off bout every 10 cuts or so. The bar doesn't appear to be bent and I always make sure the chain is tightened.

I have an 011 and everytime I use it it will throw the chain off. It happens mostly when I'm cutting the brush off the top of a tree. It kicks off bout every 10 cuts or so. The bar doesn't appear to be bent and I always make sure the chain is tightened.

I have that problem every time the sprocket tip gets wore down the chain jumps usually when cutting or bumping into small springy limbs. A stretched chain will make it worse.
You want to solve the problem replace all 3. the bar chain and drive sprocket , keep the chain sharp and take care of the powerhead and it will make your wood cutting chores much easiar. I say replace all 3 because you probably need to because a wore sprocket even though it works will stretch your chain. All 3 with a syncronized fit will run smoother ( less vibes, screws loosening, etc.) keep the chain snug against the bar without over tightening and your chain should rarely throw. I wouldn't rule out a bent crankshaft but I doubt thats the problem.
Most people here donot care for solidnose bars because they are very concerned about an extra ounce of power or chain speed. Myself if my saw is up to snuff with the bar length I prefer hard nose because it eliminates the sprocket tip problem .

Myself I would'nt use over a 14 in. bar on a saw that size. replace it all with new shorter bar and see if everything improves. good luck. Rick!

All good advice,I've found that chain stretch is the worst offender.As the chain stretches,you keep moving the bar out away from the clutch.This increases the length of unsupported chain between the clutch and bar.Limbing and trimming give the chain a workout,going from tight when cutting to loose when freewheeling(out of the wood).This lets the chain hop out of the lead-in of the bar and jump the groove.Hope this makes sense.

I ported mine and muffler modded it. It pulled a 16" bar real good. I lost a circlip off the piston though, but it will be alive again soon enough.....ported of course. :)

I don't know the number but the dealer should have no problem. If you want take your old bar with and match the oil holes and mount holes for confirmation. Baileys online store here is a good source for bars and chain. I wouldn't try to save a few bucks by not buying a sprocket and risk stretching your chain unless it is in very good condition.

Latest posts

Back