012AV Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am new here and looking for advice. I have a working Stihl 012AV with 18", in runs great however its getting long in the tooth. I cut up 1-2 cords per year. I am looking for a second saw because I live in California and before the new law takes effect in 24 I would like to get another gas saw. I have read just about everything on the Echo CS-4910 and I think it will fit my needs, however I can not find a dealer that has one that I could check out. A box store down the street has one with a 20" bar or I can order one with an 18". I can pick up the Stihl MS-250 anywhere. The 18" suits my needs 90% so I am not necessarily looking for a longer bar. I know its been discussed to death but I am looking for advice and a push in the right direction.
Thanks

IMO there are few saws that can match the size, balance, power and weight of the 012. It was/is a very light 45cc saw.
It is almost as nice as the MS200, and it can pull an 18" chain.
The 261 and 241 (if you can find one) are options, but you might just consider keeping your 012 alive buy looking for a "parts saw" for spares when the time comes that you will need them. Oil pump kits for the Stihl 1120 series saws are available from a guy in Germany.
It sounds like you are somewhat attached to your 012, which is easy to understand.

Its true. I am pretty attached to it. It has never let me down. We had a huge pine tree come down in a rain storm a couple weeks back. I asked if I could help myself to the wood and help clean up. My little saw loves to work while other neighbors saws just would not start. Everyone asked about the saw and could not believe that a 30+ year old saw could work that well. That got me thinking, this is an old saw I better get a back up just in case. I have been searching for used saws and decided that a new saw would be the wiser choice. I just purchase the Echo CS-4910 that seems to get a lot of love here.
This is a great site by the way and I think that after Toyota Landcruiser's, chainsaws might be the new addiction. ;-)

Back