015L rebuild will not fire up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt carb on my Stihl 015L. Closed H/L setting, then backed off settings on carb at 1 1/4 turn out on both L and H. There was an LA needle I set also to 1 1/4 turn. Pulled the rope with the spark plug out to make sure was getting a spark. Sparking good. Put about a teaspoon of mix in chamber to get it started. Put spark plug in and connection. Pull, pull, pull...nothing. Made sure on/off switch was in the correct position. Nothing. Yep, used the choke also, but nothing fired. Would have thought that at least fire off gas I put in the chamber! Checked compression several times and it was 105 cold. What am I missing? Perhaps carb setting not correct? Is 105 too low of a compression to even fire? Need some advice? Thanks

its doubtful you wil get anything more than a pop w/ 105psi. 125/135 is usually minimum. was the saw running before the carb rebuild?

Ran it a lot and then it did seem to get harder to start and then finally did not start. The carb was full of grit and really did need a rebuild.

That compression reading is low if you are using a small engine compression gauge but high if using a standard auto compression gauge. All my small engines (650 Pioneer saw, echo whipper snipper, etc) run fine with 70-90psi readings on a standard auto compression gauge.

I think the accepted standard is a 2 stroke needs a minimum of 110psi to fire, but I could be wrong here.

You need air/fuel mix, spark and compression to run an engine. You have fuel (you introduced it yourself), you have spark. Tnhat only leaves compression as the missing ingredient. Unless of course you flooded it with the fuel you introduced.

I would pull the plug and turn her over half a dozen times then reinstall the plug and try again.

cheers
Scott

flywheel

Hi, did you take the flywheel off the saw for any reason?? If so make sure the key way is correctly lined up between the flywheel and crankshaft. If they are not in sink the saw will show ignition fire but is not in time with the crankshaft. I had this happen on a couple of saws that had the integrated flywheel/keyway built into them. It shears the key and slowly starts to turn the saw out of time. Just a suggestion. I'm not familiar with the key situation on the 15. The Hoosier

Sharpen your chain it's a jungle out there!!!!!!!!!

JamesReed said:
Ran it a lot and then it did seem to get harder to start and then finally did not start. The carb was full of grit and really did need a rebuild.

When you rebuilt the carb, did you replace the check valve? It doesn't come in the kit, but is available. It's right in the bottom and a primary failure point on that old carb.

Walbro has a slide hammer to get the old valve body out, but you may be able to figure out something else.

Borrow a compression tester that has the schrader valve at the tip. Trying to infer a compresson reading from one that doesn't is waste of effort on a small displacement saw.

Last edited:
JamesReed said:

Was this grit in the throat of the carb?

If so you are in for a minimum of a ring and possibly a piston

Are you comfortable removing the jug?

Lakeside53 said:
When you rebuilt the carb, did you replace the check valve? It doesn't come in the kit, but is available. It's right in the bottom and a primary failure point on that old carb.

Walbro has a slide hammer to get the old valve body out, but you may be able to figure out something else.

Borrow a compression tester that has the schrader valve at the tip. Trying to infer a compresson reading from one that doesn't is waste of effort on a small displacement saw.

Sorry to say no I did not replace the check valve. What does the check valve look like, exactly where is it located and where can I get one? I used a compression tester that I ordered from Baileys when I checked compression.

Actually, today when I came in from work I decided to give the saw a try. First pull it did start for about 6 seconds then quit. I may have had it flooded yesterday. Tried more times but it would try to start and quit with white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have H/L at 1-1/4 out cc and LA the same. Any suggestion on these adjustments? Heck, I felt success somewhat just to her try to start.

JamesReed said:
Sorry to say no I did not replace the check valve. What does the check valve look like, exactly where is it located and where can I get one? I used a compression tester that I ordered from Baileys when I checked compression.

Actually, today when I came in from work I decided to give the saw a try. First pull it did start for about 6 seconds then quit. I may have had it flooded yesterday. Tried more times but it would try to start and quit with white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have H/L at 1-1/4 out cc and LA the same. Any suggestion on these adjustments? Heck, I felt success somewhat just to her try to start.

If you have the correct compression tester and really only have 105... you may as well stop there...

The check valve is just a small disk of flexible material, but it's buried in a structure in the bottom of the carb.. Do you have an IPL?

Thanks for your input and help...I appreciate you and others very much. I got some of the other Stihl IPLs but unfortunately, I do not have an IPL for a 015.

stihltech said:
I believe an 015 only needed 1/2 to 3/4 turn on each screw.

WOW...your exactly right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just assumed that most saw settings were 1-1/2 and was standard. I was definitely wrong. I set both of my 015/015L to 1/2 cc on H/L and they started on second pull. I can get the L adjusted but the H bogs down somewhat when reving up to full on the trigger. Should I be adjusting the LA screw (cc or clockwise to correct)at running on high and full trigger?

My hat is off to you...you da man! lol

Low speed needle out (ccw)

Low speed needle out (ccw) to best acceleration to top rpm then set idle stop screw to just under chain engagement

Anyways, thanks very much. Do you know where I might find a couple of air filters for the 015.? Heck, if they are good used ones I would be happy. They are very,very difficult to find.

Latest posts

Back