020 av super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
i have a 020 av super which has a hs 202 trimmer head on it. recently, i lost the shoulder bolt which holds the head on. after three weeks of backorder, i finally received the replacement. i tried to install it last night and discovered that the bar stud is broken flush with the saw. i have thought about drilling it a little and then using a screw extractor. does anyone have any thoughts on this or a better idea??? is the bar stud a L or R hand thread?
this saw was bought from a City of Atlanta auction in '89. i have never used it for sawing, only as a hedge trimmer. i pulled the muffler last night and the cylinder looks fine. the muffler screen was not plugged and the saw has always started and run fine in the very limited amount of use that it receives. i have the bar that came on the saw and i am thinking of using it for limbing this year.
can someone give me any information regarding year of manufacture, displacement, hp? does anyone have an IPL or service manual? i am at work and do not have access to Acres here and i didn't have time to look at home last night.

what does the "super" mean??? i know what av means...... were there regular 020's, av 020's and av super 020's????? this is a top handle saw, is (was) it as well liked as the 200T???

This was probably the best little saw ever made. It was in production for more than 25 years until it was replaced by the 200t. I have been using one of these for 30 years for one handed limbing. I have several of these that I am restoring. I also have a 020AV super. The super has more piston displacement (2.2 cu. in vs. 2.0 cu. in for the regular 020Av). It is recognizable by the extra cutouts in the case which the regular 020 doesn't have. They tend to be a little finaky. I think because the air filtration isn't that good. Also it is made up of alot of parts. I was told that it became expensive for Stihl to manufacture. I believe the last 020av sold for more than $500. My numbers may be off so don't quote me on them. At any rate, it is a saw worth keeping.

This was probably the best little saw ever made. It was in production for more than 25 years until it was replaced by the 200t. I have been using one of these for 30 years for one handed limbing. I have several of these that I am restoring. I also have a 020AV super. The super has more piston displacement (2.2 cu. in vs. 2.0 cu. in for the regular 020Av). It is recognizable by the extra cutouts in the case which the regular 020 doesn't have. They tend to be a little finaky. I think because the air filtration isn't that good. Also it is made up of alot of parts. I was told that it became expensive for Stihl to manufacture. I believe the last 020av sold for more than $500. My numbers may be off so don't quote me on them. At any rate, it is a saw worth keeping.
Don'ty confuse the 020T with the 020 top handle, two very different saws.

Based on the top handle, the saw is one of the 020AV saws. For a better identification, pictures of the other side and the top would help.

If you go to the Stihl website, and look under arborist saws you will see pictures of the MS 200T. This is the completely redesigned top handle saw used for "in the tree" trimming. I would also agree that the T stands for top handle. The old 020AV series saws never used the T designation as far as I know. You can also see how much differant the top handle is on the 200T.

The old 020 saws were the same except for the handle. For a number of years Stihl didn't sell a rear handled 020. You bought a top handle saw and ordered a rear handle kit to change it out.

Ed

Since the subject of the hedge trimmer attachment for the 020 has popped up.

I have a question???

I recently got my hands on one of those like new attachments and a book. The book shows how to set up the powerhead. The book states that when the hedge trimmer attachment is used a bigger muffler can be used for silencing.

Question ???

Is this muffler still available???

The muffler kit part number is 4206 007 1000.

It really doesn't matter to me what muffler is on the powerhead. All I am going to do after I set up one of my AVP's with this attachment is just put it back on the shelf with the others I have. I doubt I would ever use it as a trimmer. The muffler that is suppose to go with the HS202 would be a nice addition, hopefully add some value to the saw.

I collect these 020's also. As a climber and a bucket operator having owned brand new 020's and 020T and the MS 200. I can say the MS 200 is a much improved lighter more powerful saw and much more reliable than the 020T and the old 020's ever could be. I never cared for the 020T myself. The first ones to come out were junk in my book.

A brand new 020 super top handle with eletronic ignition and chainbrake sold retail back in the 80's for $600. That is what I paid for one anyway. The present day MS 200 is getting very close to that number if not more. Think what a 020 would cost today if Sthil still manufactured them the way they used to. Hand torqueing every nut and bolt on the saw. That is what made them so expensive. The 020 was a precision tool in it's day. I am sure many will agree with me if they ever used one. No saw in it's class could even begin to keep up with an 020. I am just a little biased is all.

Larry

Last edited:
A brand new 020 super top handle with eletronic ignition and chainbrake sold retail back in the 80's for $600. That is what I paid for one anyway. The present day MS 200 is getting very close to that number if not more. Think what a 020 would cost today if Sthil still manufactured them the way they used to. Hand torqueing every nut and bolt on the saw. That is what made them so expensive. The 020 was a precision tool in it's day. I am sure many will agree with me if they ever used one. No saw in it's class could even begin to keep up with an 020. I am just a little biased is all.

Larry

I think I paid well over $500 for my last 020 Super....

However, it was out sold by the Poulan S25DA, which had a 2.5 ci reed valve motor and more torque. Cutting speed was very close...the S25 could have been faster.

I have the manual for the 020 AV and 020 AVP model 1114. I bought on E-bay. I think from cheapstihlparts.

I think I paid well over $500 for my last 020 Super....

However, it was out sold by the Poulan S25DA, which had a 2.5 ci reed valve motor and more torque. Cutting speed was very close...the S25 could have been faster.

That is one saw I never had a chance to run in a tophandle. Poulan were never popular here where I am at.

Larry

Well, while we're at it, I've been unable to find max unloaded rpm. Mine is tuned by ear now, but I'd really like to check (my ears...) with the tach. I don't have this number in my manual, Acres doesn't tell, and even AS has failed me on this... Until now..?

Back