021 triple fueling, ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Older 021 sat for 2 or 3 years so getting it going for a friend.
—new fuel and pulse lines and fuel and air filter and carb kit.. Expected it to be all happy at this point. Compr was normal.
-weak spark, replaced with AM coil which is better. Flywheel key is good.
-Flooding after a couple pops, put on another known good WT215. Metering level good with Walbro gauge on both carbs. Popoff is more than 10 psi.
-Runs for a few seconds, getting richer and richer til it dies. lot of carb standing fuel vapor at inlet when running so it triple fuels and bogs down and won’t restart until it dries out.
-Beyond repair into obsession now....
-Compression feels normal for a small saw but reads low, 90-100 psi, so put in some caber rings. 100-110 now. Known good compr gauge.
-Piston exhaust side is almost new looking with machining marks.
-Piston inlet side is good, no evidence of dirt wearing the skirt or affecting the sealing. I did not check the piston in bore clearance when apart, as from piston appearance I had no reason to suspect it and just flat forget to check it.
-Muffler and exhaust all clean.
-Bore looked good.

Seems like it has blowby into crankcase and back out the inlet but I can’t see anything wrong.

Ideas?

Pretty sure the timing chain has not slipped....

Latest posts

Back