024 super - high idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95z28m6

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. A few days ago I was given a 024 AV super that is really clean and lightly used. It sat for about 15 years before I got it and the ansi sticker on the handle is dated 1985.

Before i attempted to start it i drained the gas, pulled the plug and shot some oil on the rings, cleaned the filter and check the carb. The carb seemed clean so i out it back together with fresh gas and tried it. Fired up 3rd pull and ran pretty good. The idle was steady but a little high where the chain keeps creeping . I reset the mixture screws and tried again. Found the highest idle point on the low speed and richened it a little from that, still high enough for the chain to creep...please note, yes the idle speed screw is backed out to where it isn't touching the throttle wheel.

Pulled the carb and cleaned everything. All holes were clear and cleaned the screen. Put a new diaphragm and gasket set in it. Put it all back together, reset the mix screws. Fired up and idles the same. I could get the idle lower by running it rich and cranking up the idle speed screw but it smokes and starts to load up. When I find the nice clean responsive idle (about 7/8 turns out) and I turn the idle speed screw out till it has no effect, the idle it JUST high enough for the chain to creep. Also weird is that 1 out of 5 times when I pull the chain brake off the idle dips for a second. She runs good at full speed, has full power and cuts good. Again the idle is steady, just cant get it completely below the clutch engagement.

Any ideas will help, I've already read about crank seals, but my symptoms dont seem to match them.

Can you pull the chain around the bar easily while the saw is shut off?

Clutch needle bearing dry/seized?
Clutch spring broken?

Pirate air leak?, if the idle speed T screw is fully backed out. 15 years is long time to sit dry.

A shot crank seal (leaker) will not let it idle down...but so would a leaking intake boot, bad cylinder gasket, or loose cylinder bolts.

Latest posts

Back